Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 09-28-2016, 11:17 PM

corallivore is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
If you want to continue this discussion over PM, I am game.

I've said what I honestly feel and have offered some resources on where that opinion comes from.

Some breeds are inherently more dangerous than others.

I'm not interested in rehashing this debate for the amusement of others.

You can probably get the gist by reading the comments in any province article reporting a dog attack, regardless of breed anyways.

You can put the popcorn down.

Last edited by corallivore; 09-28-2016 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:06 AM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallivore View Post
If you want to continue this discussion over PM, I am game.
The popcorn was not directed at you, so no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallivore View Post
You can put the popcorn down.
Not a chance... I really like popcorn.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:13 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

I am afraid of all dog breeds, esp the smaller ones like chihuahua

Unless I know the guy who owns it and know that he/she has control and has properly trained the dog, the dog is dangerous to me.

To me, it all comes down to the owner. Yes, some breeds have a natural instinct of being ferocious but it all comes down to how they are trained and brought up. Even human has a natural instinct of being violence, doesn't mean everyone is.

Truth be told, after so many stories about dog attacks, I can hardly trust a random dog and the owner and I am always extra careful whenever I pass a dog (esp the smaller breeds). In my defense, I am a fat guy and I can't run

In the end, if you can't control a chihuahua, don't get a chihuahua. If you can't control a pitbull, don't get a pitbull. Seems like people needs to be educated more on breeds and responsibility. All breeds are not the same and are there for difference purposes with different personality - that's what makes every breed precious and unique. It all comes down to the owner.

Oh, BTW I am not a dog person; I am just a fish person

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 09-29-2016, 03:46 PM

The Codfather is on a distinguished road

There is always two sides to this. Here is my opinion for what its worth.
If you own this breed of dog, good for you. I do believe any breed of dog can be the loving loyal pet.
That being said, you know the dangers, and as long as you do not, under any circumstance endanger me, my children or any other member of the public, keep your dog and do what you will.
However, if you at any point, you fail at your responsibilities to keep this animal in a safe manner, I hope the law comes at you with the safety off.
It is the responsibility of the owner to do this. Unfortunately, we see the outcome of owners who think they do not have this responsibility.
Coasting, something to keep in mind. There has been reports of unprovoked attacks in many breeds, big, small, and everything in between. So please, don't say one thing without consideration of all the facts. You say its fear mongering morons and education that are at fault here. Id disagree to some point. In some cases its just the dog, plain and simple.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:14 PM

Moogled is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
In the end, if you can't control a chihuahua, don't get a chihuahua. If you can't control a pitbull, don't get a pitbull. Seems like people needs to be educated more on breeds and responsibility. All breeds are not the same and are there for difference purposes with different personality - that's what makes every breed precious and unique. It all comes down to the owner.
Fully agreed with this point. As controversial as this is, I am also hearing some good points made by Coasting. The cards are stacked against bully breeds unfairly as pets because of stereotypes and that's a bad hand dealt.

Some dogs are tougher to handle than others. I like Myka's point that with this ban at least it will make it harder for this breed to be abused by irresponsible owners.

Last edited by Moogled; 09-29-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:04 PM

corallivore is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
The popcorn was not directed at you, so no.

Not a chance... I really like popcorn.

Discussion over PM request was directed at Coasting, not you.

All you've added to the conversation is popcorn...what interest could I possibly have to discuss this topic with you...lol

but you're right, popcorn is delicious...

I get it. You love your dog and he/she is a good dog...nobody is debating that.

BUT...

A chihuahua won't kill your kid.

A bully breed will and you probably can't stop it.

The ignorance I see is most often from pit apologists, people who, for example, refuse to accept their dogs were bred for fighting and can't accept that IF their dog goes into the red zone, the consequences are far worse than with almost any other breed.

There was just a dog attack in Regina.
Family dog, described as "a big sweetheart" been around the kids for most of it's life and then it's prey drive kicked in because the little girls pony pail caused an instinctual reaction.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...tack-1.3796672

It's just so typical and every single bully apologist always says the exact same things...

To me, that's where the ignorance is most harmful.

You think this would have made the news if it was a chihuahua?

I had a pointer, never hunted in his life, never.

but when we'd hike and a rabbit or something would run by, he'd whelp (a sound that he would only make during these chases)and chase the rabbit (or squirrel or whatever) and point at the hole or tree he'd chased them into.

He could NOT be recalled when he would get this excited and for him and me, that was a big deal as he always, always listened from the time he was 6 months old and wanted to be next to me more than anywhere else.

This is all instinct and it kicks no matter what under the right circumstances.

it's stronger in some dogs than others but how do you know which?

I feel that if bully owners/apologists could just accept some of the realities for their dogs breed, you wouldn't need a ban and good dogs wouldn't have to pay the price.

Last edited by corallivore; 10-13-2016 at 07:16 PM.