Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-16-2012, 11:30 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowMaker View Post
Define evil?

clowns+nems are the reason I went from FOWLR.
sorry....Im just jaded towards nems......I had 1 BTA turn into about 20 and start killing my prized sps.....no more nems for me...."nems is evil" is just a phrase Ive been saying for years on this site...
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 09-16-2012, 11:36 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Some anemones will wander around the tank stinging corals too. They can also let go of the substrate/rock and get sucked into a powerhead, chopped into a million stinging cells and left to wreck havoc. They are quite skilled killers. However, if your nem is happy it is less likely to move about ime. I think some are just prone to moving though.

SPS fanatic.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:49 PM

Milad is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Milad

FYI your LED light is very very lacking for a tank that size
especially with your 20K LEDs. (Im guessing you have non CREE royals)

and without optics, thats even less light towards the bottom of the the tank.

you have enough to keep softies, i wouldnt try to keep any demanding sps.

for sps, you should be looking at about 40 CREE XT Royal Blues and 20 Neutral Whites. and if the fixture is 8" from the surface, you want about 60 degree optics.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:23 AM

WindowMaker is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the help,

I have another 48 led's that I will add down the road when I can get a hold of a couple more drivers. I was only planning on the nem for now, other corals will be down the road.

Im going to talk to my local fish guy. usually with stuff like nems he holds on to it for about 30 days before selling, so if I can just get him to put it on a rock I will take it all together.

What do you recommend for food for a BTA? how often? any other precautions I should worry about?

for the acclimation, is 4 hours long enough? or should it be faster/ slower?

Thanks again!
Old 09-17-2012, 12:44 AM

Milad is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Milad

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowMaker View Post
Thanks for the help,

I have another 48 led's that I will add down the road when I can get a hold of a couple more drivers. I was only planning on the nem for now, other corals will be down the road.

Im going to talk to my local fish guy. usually with stuff like nems he holds on to it for about 30 days before selling, so if I can just get him to put it on a rock I will take it all together.

What do you recommend for food for a BTA? how often? any other precautions I should worry about?

for the acclimation, is 4 hours long enough? or should it be faster/ slower?

Thanks again!
You missed the point of my post
If your nem needs light similar to LPS or SPS, you won't have enough. A bta --might-- be ok but I wouldn't put money on it.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:57 AM

SleepyPirate is on a distinguished road

I have 55 gallon tank without sump but have Canister filter with 4 12" t5ho and 1 halogen and Iv kept my 4 anemones 2 RBTA 1 GBTA and 1 ?? Magnificient anemone not sure of name just fine among many other corals stonys and softies havent had any problems besides when the anemones are first introduced they like to wander and float around like tumble weeds sometimes which can cause problems like them getting sucked into my tunez fan which happend to my GBTA But after 1 year of recovery hes back to normal. Iv moved twice with my tank and have lost a fish or two from the tank cycleing but no problems with the anemones. Seem pretty easy to keep to be honest dont know why others have so many problems.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:18 AM

Jeontai is on a distinguished road

Just like everything else in an aquarium, results will vary from person to person. No two tanks are alike. Some people get really lucky and have no problems with anemones, others have nothing but problems.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:26 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

BTAs don't need very much light if they get fed. You really only need to provide one or the other for BTAs...food or light. My BTAs prefer Mysis or Plankton. I don't feed my anemones because they get plenty of light under 250w halides and T5s. The one under the T5s is actually happier than the one under halides. I've kept BTAs under T12s long-term with no trouble. 1-2x per week a few pieces of Mysis or Plankton is usually enough. They don't need much.

SPS fanatic.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:32 AM

sounds great, I already feed mysis every couple of days, so it wont be hard to give it a little squirt while im in there.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:18 PM

Well, I was at my LFS today and the owner made me an offer I couldnt refuse for a rosy BTA. It had about a 1" foot in his tank that was lit by two flourescent tubes. ( he has had it for over a month). I just placed it in the tank and is already near double the size as in his tank. I take it that its happy with that for now.

Thanks for all the positive help.