Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 02-26-2014, 02:24 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road
Default Vancouver Aquarium

Was downtown yesterday, so stopped in to the Aquarium. I was a little surprised and disappointed with the tropical reef tanks. I saw lots of algae, including the bubble stuff (valonia), incl some really large ones. Some aiptasia here and there. Lots of detritus on the rocks. Coral colonies were large (as expected with the large tanks), but not very good color. SPS didn't look very good at all, and didn't see any "designer" corals. Some fish didn't look too healthy either.

They do a good job with the BC coast tanks, but not so well with the tropical reef tanks. I would have expected better given their equipment and expertise.

But they do keep their glass (acrylic mostly) fronts pretty clean, though.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:06 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

I don't think designer corals matter at all. Especially to a place like that.

If you go snorkeling... Most things are not as fancy as the things we buy.

Designer is a gimmick for reefers. Makes you spend more money for basically the same things in "nicer" colors.

Don't get me wrong... They are nice, but a fool and his money are soon parted.

And many people are dropping their paycheck for $30/pp zoas that die like any other coral.

Last year when my tank crashed, I lost thousands in coral. Not a pretty site. A business is not going to go into that kinda expense when reasonable other corals are available.

Anyone buy those Japanese Deep Water Zoas... That has no connection to Japan asides from a misleading and falsified name added to make you think it was special?

I have no been to the aquarium yet. Hopefully one day.

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.

Last edited by paddyob; 02-26-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:27 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Well, I have been to many of the big US aquariums, and was much more impressed with their reef displays. Ripley's in Gatlinburg was probably the best, and I really like the one in Maui, too.

In fairness, I might just be a lot more critical now that I am more knowledgeable with my own reef keeping.

As for snorkeling, I have always been very impressed with Maui,... not so much with Mexico.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:45 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

No, unfortunately I agree with Reef Pilot here. Don't get me wrong, I *love* the Vancouver Aquarium and go as often as I can, on average maybe once every 2 years or so (I would go more often if I was closer.)

But there is a marked difference in quality of displays in the coldwater and local section tanks versus the tropical. The price of admission is starting to get quite prohibitive, so I think it's not entirely unfair to have high expectations going in.

There are some good examples out there of jawdropping tropical displays both with real corals (which tend to be smaller systems) and synthetic reefs (which tend to be the larger displays). Georgia Aquarium, Long Beach Aquarium, Monterey Bay Aquarium, Maui Ocean Centre, Moody Gardens come to mind as some I have visited in the U.S. that I would recommend to anyone travelling to the cities they are in. The Sydney Aquarium in Australia, at least when I visited there (13 years ago, man I want to go back) had a 20' maybe even 30' long curved reef tank that ranks in my memory as one of the most impressive reef tanks I've ever seen and that still holds true today.

So it's not like it's impossible for them to revamp things one day and hold themselves to a higher standard ... they just need to make it a priority. I bet once they have the capital in place they will likely do some renovations on the tropical side.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:59 PM

saltcreep is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
So it's not like it's impossible for them to revamp things one day and hold themselves to a higher standard ... they just need to make it a priority. I bet once they have the capital in place they will likely do some renovations on the tropical side.
You just hit the nail on the head. Resources are limited and the Aquarium puts the vast majority of it towards the cold water displays. The tropical displays are not a priority, nor will they ever be. It doesn't mean that they will be ignoring them, in fact I know there is something in the works now with the current expansion.

PS - The Sydney Aquarium is still fantastic. But, you must keep in mind that it is a display of their local waters.