Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-23-2012, 07:01 AM

jords is on a distinguished road
Default jords' 65g Build

Okay, so long time in the thoughts, I decided it's finally time to upgrade. I'm going to say I'm tired of nano tanks, although I'm aware the new tank is only going to be about 65 gallons. Can't go any bigger right now because of size.

I'm going to be building this tank myself, for several reasons. So I've been contacting a couple local glass shops to get the glass for the build, and think I got what I need.

Dimensions of the tank of 24x24x30. Remember, in my current house, space is an issue (fingers crossed for new house in the spring), which is part of the reason why I'm going deep and wide for such a small tank. Also I like to be able to create "character" in the tank, and having a deeper tank allows for me to have low-light and high-light corals. However, I'll be tearing down my ~25 gallon and putting the fish/corals in this new tank eventually.

Overflow is basic corner box, 1x 1" hole and 1x 0.5" hole for a herbie-style overflow. Going to be building a basic wooden stand for the tank too, so pipes are going to go straight down into the sump (will find a used 20 gallon for that). Return is 0.75" hole on back, opposite side.

I have drawn up the blueprints for it, and as I said, have gotten into contact with local glass shops, and should be getting the ball rolling on this right away. Have determined I'll be going LED with the tank (never tried it, so I'd love to). At this point, thinking about a AI unit, and skimmer would be a Bubble Mugnus.

Always open to ideas, and tips. Whether it be for supplies/setup, or (especially) actually building the glass tank. I wanted to do a tank journal so I can track all my progress.