Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 08-04-2010, 03:27 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road
Default looking for info

Is anyone here a comercial truck driver, I am looking for information on some of the tractors.

what I am wanting to do is get a class 8 tractor (leaning towards a volvo 770, 780) single out the rear axels, remove the comercial fith and install a RV one and use it to tow a new fith after I re-register as a personal truck or as a motorhome.

so one concern is if I am looking at a truck with 600 to 800000km am I going to worry about how long this will last me at about 25000Km/year use? also if anyone is familier with volvo's is there anything I should be checking real close?

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:06 PM

Murminator is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Murminator

We have around 200 Freightliners with Detroits in them we get rid of them around the million 6 with no rebuilds Detroits get tired around a million 5 but we have some with a million 7 still running strong but these are hwy tractors so no starting and stopping all the time.
Volvo's are good for a million or a million 2 but volvo are more expensive to rebuild, Detroits and Cats are cheaper.
Myself i would look for a freightliner fl70 or 80 these are mostly body jobs/daycabs you can pick them cheap tons of parts and still small enough to get them into any campground.

I reserve the right to hijack any thread I want to!!

My carbon footprint is bigger than your carbon footprint !!!!
Old 08-05-2010, 02:52 AM

ya, a day cab will do me no good, thats why I was looking at the volvo 770 with the 77" sleeper. I am intending on putting 4 bucket seats across the back.

are you talking Km or miles? why are you guys running thoes trucks so long? most companies get rid of the old ones befor 900000km

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Old 08-05-2010, 03:54 AM

Murminator is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Murminator

KMs.......We run them so long cause they will and every fall almost have a line up to buy the old out going ones. A hwy tractor seems little over kill to haul a not to mention if the work to moving the back axle to the front loping off the rear of the frame and getting it re-saftied. And just the sheer size of it to get it into a campground....pulling it would not be an issue a 17,000 would hardly know it's there.

Myself I would got for something more like this...already to go

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...AdIdZ211504569
http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...AdIdZ217401470

I reserve the right to hijack any thread I want to!!

My carbon footprint is bigger than your carbon footprint !!!!
Old 08-05-2010, 04:17 AM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murminator View Post
KMs.......We run them so long cause they will and every fall almost have a line up to buy the old out going ones. A hwy tractor seems little over kill to haul a not to mention if the work to moving the back axle to the front loping off the rear of the frame and getting it re-saftied. And just the sheer size of it to get it into a campground....pulling it would not be an issue a 17,000 would hardly know it's there.

Or you could just go with a Dodge 1 ton quad cab with a six speed. Same money, same motor, and a dealer in every town.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:38 AM

Seth72 is on a distinguished road

I have been driving truck for 16 years,many differant styles of trucks many of them top of the line show trucks,But I cant imagine owning one without being friends with my shop and mechanics.They all seem to need constant upkeep and something always needs replacing,and you wont be able to write any of it off.

If I were thinking of that...this is just my humble opinion,but i would just get a smaller camper,save you tons of money, tons of headache....all my friends drive truck as well and I dont know anybody who has thought of a setup like that.

Besides you could buy a nice full size gm or dodge for the price it would cost you, buy a duelly if need be, then you would have something with some resale value.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:01 PM

ok.. so.. guess a lot of people have never hauled a large RV a 18000 lb rv is basicly maxing out any 1 ton truck you can get. will they pull it yup, but they will be slow up hills, and you will have to ride the breaks down every hill and they take a bit to stop, so from a common sence and saftey issue they shouldn't be towing them. what happens when you have a brake failure on your trailer? these electric brake systems are crap at best and a 1 ton doesnt have breaks rated to stop the truck and the trailer.

I can get a MTD like Murminator was linking to but I have another issue.

my two kids are at the age where they would like to start bringing friends camping, which is why we are getting a fith with quad bunks in the back. so in a 1 ton or even 95% of the MTDs out there still only are made for 4 people. ya they have a 3rd in the back but in my situation I am looking at 6 people plus a large dog. isn't going to happen.

where as with a HDT (say a volvo 770) I can pull the bottom bun out and put 4 air ride seats across the back of the sleeper. this would still leave about 3 feet or more for legroom for the back seats, which means the dog has a tone of room to sprawl out.

now that is the practical issues, now lets talk money.
the only trucks that will town something this big are the F350 1 ton dually and the equivalent chev for 2011. so new truck say $70,000.00 when all is said and done.

lets look at a MDT like a sportschassi. since they are a nich market truck they are very expensive, you are looking at 70,000.00 for a used one, 129,000- 200,000.00 for a new one.

so big rig.

I have found a few now for $8,000.00 - $30,000.00 , I was at volvo yesterday talking to the service manager it is 3000.00 to single a volvo out, more expensive for other trucks but not to much and thats if I keep the old parts, if they keep them he figures the price would be about 1500-2000 and I get the best 4 tires and rims.

he recomended any truck I buy to get a dyno and inspection done on it for a couple hundred (not much more than doing my F250) and he said for insurance anything over 500000km to roll the berrings for 1500.00
I can get 4 used airrides in good shape for 200 ea so 800.00

so lets say I splurge and get a even newer volvo 780 with an "I" shift trans. there is one with 500000km right now for 45,000.00 add 1500 for singling, 1500 to roll the berrings (which they will do free dyno/inspection also if I am doing that) and the air ride seats I am at 50,200.00

for maintenance it is going to be less than a F350/3500 ect.. and projectted maintenance costs are going to be less than a 1 ton. think about what you guys were saying about trucks costing a lot to maintain. you have to make it apples to apples and break costs down to money per Km. you'll find bit rigs are a lot cheeper to maintain than normal cars.

now factor in the fact that what I will be towing is going to be equvalent to twoing two empty flat decks so the wear and tear on the truck is going to be nothing compared to normal operation.

now fuel efficency. from everything I have read, a rig singled out driven nice should be able to get 12 to 15mpg. Towing 10-12 ,so say I get 11 out of it. my F250 towing 8000 lbs gets 15 to 17 but towing 13500 I only get 13. a 2007 ford diesel towing 18000lbs get about 10 mpg. a 2005 sportschassi MDT gets 10-12 mpg towing 18000lbs so looks like everything is pretty damn close.

now also by doing the truck up I can leave the fold up top bunk in it and there will also be a fridge, microwave, sink, porta potty, ect as I have to do this to re register it as an rv, so I don't have to stop at weigh scales or fill out the log book, and can drive with a normal licence with and airbrake endorsment. so if I am going on a trip to the island for somethign I can just take the truck and I have my acomadations with me for a lot less money on the ferry, or say a quick run to edmonton to see my parents like I am doing on monday.

now spending 45K is mostlikly out of the question butI have seen 3 trucks in good shape for 15K now, so take that number of 50K I had above and change it to 20K then add 5K for a couple pop up things. so now we are at 25K wich would be very acceptable to the wife

Steve

Last edited by StirCrazy; 08-05-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murminator View Post

you sure like your freight shakers eh my buddies won't touch them.. but they like KW.. go figure. the FL are not realy that good, as they are not aero dynamic in any way haha. I am looking for the full ferringed, hiden air cleaners, no exposed exhaust. it can make up to 1 to 2 mpg, and since the 5th I am buying is 13' tall I figured a full 13'3" truck is good for keeping crap off the front of the fith and helping reduce the drag caused by the trailer. with the volvo 770 you get all that hight as interior room, no bolt on deflector at all. and from all the trucks I have sat in the 770/780 was the most comfortable by far. which makes a differance if I am pulling a long day for the wife.

Steve

Old 08-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

http://www.hotels.com/

just sayin'.......
Old 08-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
http://www.hotels.com/

just sayin'.......
I think that was the only thing I understood out of this whole thread

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.