Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-06-2012, 05:06 PM

fresh is on a distinguished road
Default Something is eating my coralline algae!

I don't know what it is, but my coralline algae is being eaten by something in the tank. I do not have any urchins.

I started noticing that it was small random trails just like a snail's trail of disappearing coralline algae on the back wall. Now I notice that some rocks are also missing small patches. The trail is very thin (1 mm or less).

I do have MANY small white snails (less than 1 mm round) which I don't know what they are called. Could they be the culprit? I also have one small chiton (or what looks like a chiton) that is only 0.5 cm long. The chiton I have had for a long time and hasn't grown at all.

What is eating my coralline and how can I stop it? If you can help with your experience, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 09-06-2012, 05:15 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Got a urchin?

Also red that emerald crabs will eat it to
Old 09-06-2012, 05:18 PM

Mandosh is on a distinguished road

Chitons do actively eat coraline. The only way I see of stopping your coraline from being eaten, is by removing whatever is eating it. I'd start with the chiton.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:24 PM

noirsphynx is on a distinguished road

Any asterina star fish? I had some in one of my tanks that were eating the coraline.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:25 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandosh View Post
Chitons do actively eat coraline. The only way I see of stopping your coraline from being eaten, is by removing whatever is eating it. I'd start with the chiton.

its the chitons for sure i have about 50 of them they breed easily , im not sure eating your coraline is a bad thing is it??

i know im glad they eat mine , less to scrape and clean lol :P

anytime i find one in my 90 i add it to my bonsai tank , i find them beneficial and since i cant see rock anyways its awesome:P
Old 09-06-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus99 View Post
Got a urchin?

Also red that emerald crabs will eat it to
No urchins as the post states, and I don't have any crabs (not even hermits).

Quote:
Originally Posted by noirsphynx View Post
Any asterina star fish? I had some in one of my tanks that were eating the coraline.
Come to think of it, I have many of those! Could they be the culprit? How to get rid of them, and should I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
its the chitons for sure i have about 50 of them they breed easily , im not sure eating your coraline is a bad thing is it??
It is when you do see rocks I am not as lucky as you where my rocks are hidden by my corals (at least not yet)

So then based on this, it could be the single chiton I have, or the asterina starfish. It might be the starfish as I have started to notice their population going up recently.

I don't want to remove something beneficial that doesn't need to be removed. And now after what reefwars said, I am even leaning towards leaving whatever is eating the coralline alone.

I am not too worried about it, but I like the coralline look and just thought to mention it to get some thoughts from the experts.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:50 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh View Post
No urchins as the post states, and I don't have any crabs (not even hermits).

Come to think of it, I have many of those! Could they be the culprit? How to get rid of them, and should I?

It is when you do see rocks I am not as lucky as you where my rocks are hidden by my corals (at least not yet)

So then based on this, it could be the single chiton I have, or the asterina starfish. It might be the starfish as I have started to notice their population going up recently.

I don't want to remove something beneficial that doesn't need to be removed. And now after what reefwars said, I am even leaning towards leaving whatever is eating the coralline alone.

I am not too worried about it, but I like the coralline look and just thought to mention it to get some thoughts from the experts.

the coraline will out grow the chitons easily its just a matter of time
Old 09-06-2012, 06:05 PM

MKLKT is on a distinguished road

Odds are that whatever is eating it is also "returning" it to the tank and spreading coralline even more.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
the coraline will out grow the chitons easily its just a matter of time
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKLKT View Post
Odds are that whatever is eating it is also "returning" it to the tank and spreading coralline even more.
I must say that my coralline has been growing in the last year or so, so you both are probably correct.

Ok, nothing to remove here, and I will leave what ever is eating (I mean spreading) coralline to continue doing whatever they are doing lol
Old 09-06-2012, 06:26 PM

noirsphynx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh View Post
I hate the little buggers! Once they're in your system good luck getting them all out Some turn in to coral munchers. They're not all destructive but now I don't take any chances. Harlequin shrimp will sometimes eat them.