Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-01-2011, 09:20 PM

rickwaines is on a distinguished road
Default calcium reactor questions

It would seem to me a great piece of gear to have in ones sump. I am planning a tank that will have a footprint of 24 inches, and therefore, a sump that has a footprint of 24 inches. I am already planning on a skimmer of course. Are there excellent quality calcium reactors that are designed for small spaces?
I am not planning for hard corals at this point if that makes a difference.

and as usuall, thank you in advance, rick
Old 08-01-2011, 09:22 PM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

I run my calcium reactor external, as do others is that an option?

360 Reef Tank
Old 08-01-2011, 09:41 PM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

here is one with small foot print, i got a larger one and quality is very good.
You can see details here
Old 08-01-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTang<3 View Post
I run my calcium reactor external, as do others is that an option?
I am hoping to keep it all under the tank. This is the hope. In fact, at this point it is the need. The tank is in the living room and my partner and I are fussy about the asthetic.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:48 PM

Lampshade is on a distinguished road

I"ve got a Tunze Automat Calcium reactor. It's internal, i hang it inside my sump. VERY small footprint and has had no problems supplying calcium to my tank.

http://www.selectaquariumsupply.com/...eactor,/Detail

If i had to do it again I would go with external because of maintenance being a bit easier if you can see it. But... i add calcium once every couple months, so that's a pretty small complaint.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampshade View Post
I"ve got a Tunze Automat Calcium reactor. It's internal, i hang it inside my sump. VERY small footprint and has had no problems supplying calcium to my tank.

http://www.selectaquariumsupply.com/...eactor,/Detail

If i had to do it again I would go with external because of maintenance being a bit easier if you can see it. But... i add calcium once every couple months, so that's a pretty small complaint.
thanks, that is a better size!
Old 08-01-2011, 11:57 PM

Lampshade is on a distinguished road

They seem to be an odd ball item, hard to find, i got it off a shutdown on craigslist. I recently replaced the impeller and ended up having to go to tunze to get it. I have lots of room under my tank, I'd be up for a trade if you end up finding an external that's comparable. Just an option, this is working fine for me now, but if you decide you want it and can't find one let me know.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:51 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

If you are just planning soft corals (don't confuse LPS as soft corals, such as frogspawn...it is a hard coral) then you don't need to worry about dosing or using a calcium reactor. Especially when you first start up your tank the demand will be very low. You will be able to keep up just by doing water changes. Be sure to test your freshly mixed up (for 24 hours) saltwater for calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium and dose the newly mixed up saltwater if needed. No point in adding water to the tank that's low in one of the parameters, right? If you proceed like this, and do 10-15% water changes every week you will be able to keep the parameters stable for the first while.

Having said that, I would suggest dosing pumps instead of a calcium reactor. They take up a bit less space. I use the Drew's Dosers from www.bulkreefsupply.com with digital timers I bought at the hardware store. I just use them for calcium and alkalinity, the magnesium stays steady with water changes. Calcium reactors use CO2 which will lower the pH in the tank a bit. Calcium reactors are also big, bulky, and ugly I think! Dosers are way cooler looking, and they are easier to fine tune.

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
If you are just planning soft corals (don't confuse LPS as soft corals, such as frogspawn...it is a hard coral) then you don't need to worry about dosing or using a calcium reactor. Especially when you first start up your tank the demand will be very low. You will be able to keep up just by doing water changes. Be sure to test your freshly mixed up (for 24 hours) saltwater for calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium and dose the newly mixed up saltwater if needed. No point in adding water to the tank that's low in one of the parameters, right? If you proceed like this, and do 10-15% water changes every week you will be able to keep the parameters stable for the first while.

Having said that, I would suggest dosing pumps instead of a calcium reactor. They take up a bit less space. I use the Drew's Dosers from www.bulkreefsupply.com with digital timers I bought at the hardware store. I just use them for calcium and alkalinity, the magnesium stays steady with water changes. Calcium reactors use CO2 which will lower the pH in the tank a bit. Calcium reactors are also big, bulky, and ugly I think! Dosers are way cooler looking, and they are easier to fine tune.

This is the kinda info I am so fortunate to bump into here. I was wondering about dosing vrs reactor. And I am still sorting out the abbreviations as well. Still sorting out what I want to keep and what it is called.
Thanks All!

Rick

Last edited by rickwaines; 08-02-2011 at 05:27 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:02 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Abbreviations like LPS, SPS, and softie?

Softie - if it dies there is nothing left. Things like colts, nephthea, leathers, Zoanthids, mushrooms, etc.

LPS - Large Polyped Stony. Almost always a fleshy coral, but leaves behind a skeleton if it dies. Includes brains, donuts, Acans, torch, frogspawn, hammer, elegance, Candy Cane, etc.

SPS - Small Polyped Stony. Almost always the "stick" corals. Acros, Birdnest, Monti caps, Monti digis, Pocci, Stylo, etc.

SPS fanatic.