Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-31-2013, 01:00 AM

O-Pee-Chee is on a distinguished road
Default Want to use old LR for new tank

So in May of 2012, we moved and I took down my SW tank. Since then, the rock has been sitting in a couple of 5G buckets outside with a lid on it. No idea of the condition but I imagine it's not pretty.

Fast forward nearly 18 months later and I'm starting my SW tank again from scratch and curious what I should do with the rock. I'd like to use it but what should I do with it before putting it in the tank to start the cycling process? Should I just scrub and rinse it and drop it in or?

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2013, 01:09 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Pee-Chee View Post
Should I just scrub and rinse it and drop it in or?
Yup and watch it cycle
Old 10-31-2013, 02:05 PM

saltyair is on a distinguished road

I would soak it in ro water for a day or two, scrub off what you can and watch your cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Pee-Chee View Post
So in May of 2012, we moved and I took down my SW tank. Since then, the rock has been sitting in a couple of 5G buckets outside with a lid on it. No idea of the condition but I imagine it's not pretty.

Fast forward nearly 18 months later and I'm starting my SW tank again from scratch and curious what I should do with the rock. I'd like to use it but what should I do with it before putting it in the tank to start the cycling process? Should I just scrub and rinse it and drop it in or?

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2013, 03:26 PM

TimT is on a distinguished road

I would suspect that the rock will be very sulfitic... rotten egg gas, don't open the bucket in a closed area. Hydrogen sulfide is toxic.

I would rinse the rock in freshwater... hose it off outside and then let it sit exposed to the air for a few days. Once the rock doesn't stink it should be ok to use in your tank.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:21 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Agreed with everyone above, with no circulation an lack of oxygen paired with fluctuations in temperature and light deprived your rock is done. Soak in freshwater and change the water 3-4 times. You should use a few strong powerheads to circulate the freshwater and maybe even flush the crud inside the rocks. Once the water is clear you should be able to add it to your tank

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 10-31-2013, 07:06 PM

To be clear, it's not going in an established tank so I'm not worried about going through a full cycle or anything.

I think there's actually a small hole in the top of the lid for when I transported fish long distances and wanted to stick an airstone in there so hopefully there isn't too much gas buildup inside but regardless, it'll be opened outside for sure.

I'll give it some good rinsing and maybe stick it in another empty tank with a powerhead for a bit and get it all clean though before it hits the new tank.

Thanks for the input.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:42 PM

I opened up the buckets very carefully just now and was actually surprised to see the water is completely clear. There's some brown crap around the sides of the bucket and some speckles of brown on the top of the most rocks but I can actually see all the way to the bottom of the bucket. Still going to go through all the normal procedures but I was just surprised to see it so clean looking.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:16 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

If there isn't any livestock in the tank I would pressure wash it and set the tank up with it. Be sure add a few pieces of live rock to re-seed it. It's going to be loaded with phosphate so it may take a few months before the tank is habitable.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:37 PM

It's not a huge amount of rock and I've had it in my possession for 5 years now.. It's just rock is stupid expensive around here (~9 a lb) so it'll cost me about $200 to replace it. I don't need anything for the tank so the idea was it would be free and easy to get going.

I do worry about phosphate leaching tho. I had serious algae problems before but it was in a stock biocube with the bioballs and everything in the back so it was more likely caused by the nitrate factory in the back. I'm not using my biocube this time tho.

So, I guess the real question is, should I just buy new rock?
Old 11-01-2013, 06:18 PM

canadianbudz604 is on a distinguished road
Default Rock

If your really worried just cook the rock, use a powerhead, heater, Rubbermaid bin, and complete darkness.