Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: What is your level of interest in ATS?
Never Heard of it 95 64.63%
Read some, interesting, but I'll stick to my skimmer 31 21.09%
I want one for my tank 16 10.88%
I'm already running one 5 3.40%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2008, 10:29 PM

fdiddy is on a distinguished road

I thought this system was a thing of the 70s and had major problems with water discoloration?
Old 11-27-2008, 10:36 PM

cvermeulen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdiddy View Post
I thought this system was a thing of the 70s and had major problems with water discoloration?
Well it's definitely not NEW technology. I haven't seen any report of water discoloration on either FW or SW applications. I'm not sure why they aren't more predominant in hobbyist aquaria. It's a similar idea to running an autotrophic denitrator with sulfur or alcohol as an energy source (as in some public aquaria). The only issue I can foresee (which is preventable !) is when you do not clean your scrubber for weeks and weeks, and the bottom layers die and begin to decay causing an ammonia spike. There are scrubber designs though that prevent this problem... and realistically can you say it's a system flaw that negiligence causes potential problems?
Old 11-28-2008, 10:30 AM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

The issue with water discolouration in these systems, as seen in some older reef systems such as the Great Barrier Reef display in the Smithsonian Museum (it was actually really bad in this system from the pictures I looked at) probably stemmed from the fact that this was the only form of filtration used in these systems. I would think that used together with common technologies from today (skimmers, prodigious use of live rock, etc.) this would probably be a non-issue.

And if a little colour was noticed, you could just run some carbon.

Glad to see this idea getting some attention. Seems like a more efficient way to export nutrients than a 'fuge.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAbyss View Post
The issue with water discolouration in these systems, as seen in some older reef systems such as the Great Barrier Reef display in the Smithsonian Museum (it was actually really bad in this system from the pictures I looked at) probably stemmed from the fact that this was the only form of filtration used in these systems. I would think that used together with common technologies from today (skimmers, prodigious use of live rock, etc.) this would probably be a non-issue.

And if a little colour was noticed, you could just run some carbon.

Glad to see this idea getting some attention. Seems like a more efficient way to export nutrients than a 'fuge.
Well said.

Tags
algae, ats, scrubber, turf