Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 12-23-2008, 02:25 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough
Default Views on money (fish/tank purchases vs other purchases)

With it being Christmas and all, I've been looking through fliers and thinking about how I view money. For example: I'd like a Wii but I wont pay $260 for one, I would also like a treadmill but I wont pay $400+ for one either.

However I just spent $1100 on a skimmer and didn't have any issues with paying that whatsoever, also I plan on buying a Tunze stream pump at about $400+ one, and again I have no problem spending that much money on an item I want for my tank.

Funny how that works eh? Anyone else notice this?

Last edited by fishoholic; 12-23-2008 at 04:34 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:38 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I spent $2800 on a treadmill I barely use and over $3000 on an empty 400 gallon in-wall I tore down when my wife wanted to move. That's something entirely different than what you're talking about but we can all use a good laugh =)
Old 12-23-2008, 03:32 AM

awa1979 is on a distinguished road

I have no issues in general spending on my aquariums and fish, but I tend to not spend any money on other things without alot of thought put in. When I spent 300 bucks on my TV it took me over a week to finally decide to buy it, yet I spent over 500 on impulse at a fish store when I decided I needed a new 40 gallon.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:37 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Bwahah I totally hear you on that. I spent $500+ on my aquatronica but didn't want to spend that much on a wedding dress. My sister-in-law-to-be was horrified that I wasn't immediately slapping my credit card down on THE dress (which was $800) yet I would spend big bucks on my fish tank.

I wouldn't spend $1100 on a skimmer (never say never ), hell I wasn't even going to spend $450 on a chiller but I sucked it up on that one when my tank hit 92 one summer. Over the last few years my thoughts on the tank and the amount I spend on it certainly have changed. I like to think its my little piece of financial insanity that keeps me sane and sometimes drives me insane. That makes no sense, yet it does

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:13 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I do this all the time. I won't buy home accesories. You know, prints for the wall, that nice vase with the bamboo, etc. Too much money. what?? !00 bucks for a picture of something? No way. but that pretty fish....hmm, only 100 you say?
I spent 3500 on one of my bikes. But try and catch me spending more than 50 on jeans!
It's funny what some things are worth to each individual....
Old 12-23-2008, 04:31 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
Bwahah I totally hear you on that. I spent $500+ on my aquatronica but didn't want to spend that much on a wedding dress. My sister-in-law-to-be was horrified that I wasn't immediately slapping my credit card down on THE dress (which was $800) yet I would spend big bucks on my fish tank.

I wouldn't spend $1100 on a skimmer (never say never ), hell I wasn't even going to spend $450 on a chiller but I sucked it up on that one when my tank hit 92 one summer. Over the last few years my thoughts on the tank and the amount I spend on it certainly have changed. I like to think its my little piece of financial insanity that keeps me sane and sometimes drives me insane. That makes no sense, yet it does
Makes perfect sense to me. I needed a bigger skimmer to run my whole system which will be about 500g once everything is plumbed together. The one I bought should do the trick, it's rated for 700g. I actually went with the $1100 one instead of the $1600, the more expensive one might not of fit in the space I need it to go into, so the cheaper one won out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I do this all the time. I won't buy home accesories. You know, prints for the wall, that nice vase with the bamboo, etc. Too much money. what?? !00 bucks for a picture of something? No way. but that pretty fish....hmm, only 100 you say?
I spent 3500 on one of my bikes. But try and catch me spending more than 50 on jeans!
It's funny what some things are worth to each individual....
So true, I'm glad I'm not the only one.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:45 AM

Keri is on a distinguished road

Purchases made on our aquarium I justify as not spent on me but them (the inhabitants)

And with that, I can rationalize anything...even going from an 8g to a 65g then a 120g...in just over a year lol
Old 12-23-2008, 04:54 AM

Chin_Lee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Chin_Lee

This is the exact reason why I'm having big doubts about setting another big tank to replace my 300g. I'm looking to cut back and spend my money elsewhere BUT....... then again another tank would be really nice........
Old 12-23-2008, 06:14 AM

Cameron is on a distinguished road

people are interesting about their money, so much thought for materialistic items, yet when it comes to quality of life and retirement, not to many put the time or effort in.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:19 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

I go shopping at Superstore or T&T for human food & usually spend $30-40. Pop in at an LFS & drop over a $100 if they just got in a nice shipment.

I spend at least $200 per month on my tanks, yet I spend at most $150 a year on clothing & that's only if what I normally wear is completely wearing out.

If a used tank system comes up for sale at a good price, I can easily justify dropping several hundred immediately, yet I spent about 8 months hemming & hawing before I finally upgraded my television set.

Seems like most of us are all in the same boat as far as our spending habits are concerned. Woohooo, Boxing Day sales coming up

Anthony