Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-29-2007, 07:11 PM

IceTurf is on a distinguished road
Question Skimming&Water Changes

What is the longest you have gone without a water change without noticeable problems?

How about longest time without skimming with no noticeable problems?

Both?
Old 10-29-2007, 07:24 PM

surgeonfish is on a distinguished road

I think this is a very difficult question to answer due to the number of variables involved. It would depend on the size of tank, amount of lifestalk, is there sensitive invertabrates/corals present, amount of feeding, other types of mechanical and biological filtration being used, etc, etc.

That being said, I have heard of individuals having nice reef tanks who rarely or never do water changes. However, I think they are the vast minority. Lots of reefers also run skimmerless systems. I have always used skimmers and think you could run a higher bioload with skimmers.
300 gal starphire custom built in pentagon reef (+90 gal sump on Blue Line 100 HD return pump, 210lb LR, Euro-Reef RC250 skimmer, 2x400W MH, 2x28W compacts, 2xTurbelle classic 4002 pumps & Turbelle Stream 6100 on 7095 Multicontroller, running ZEOvit)

Livestock
Fish: damsels; sailfin, yellow, regal & naso tangs; ocellaris & tomato clowns; lyretail anthias; foxface lo; flame angelfish
corals: a few
Old 10-29-2007, 07:26 PM

IceTurf is on a distinguished road

tks for responding, yea i understand that there are allot of variables so if people could also if they go skimmerless or without water changes say a bit about their tank, that would be great tks
Old 10-29-2007, 11:26 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

I went skimmerless for about 6 months, and I did a water change every week. Now I'm skimming heavily, and wondering what happened when I was skimmerless to all the nasty scheisse the skimmer's pulling out.

Having said that, I haven't been nearly as diligent with water changes since I've been skimming. I've noticed more algae all-around. In my mind, the bottom line for ME is....water changes are good. Maybe the best thing I've got going, as far as overall husbandry is concerned.

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz