Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-15-2015, 09:27 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Christy, do you want something plug and play, or are you handy enough to do some modification? If you want plug and play, I don't think there is any option besides the Eheim.

Do you have an old Dart laying around? You need a Dart needlewheel impeller and the matching volute, then you can turn it into a needlewheel pump, and on an RS-250 it makes a BEAST of a skimmer. I'm not sure if these parts are even still around. You need to do some modding of the skimmer body too, and it will be external since the Dart can't get wet. Not exactly an energy efficient option (IIRC, it draws about 150-200 watts as a needlewheel pump), and if you don't have a Dart laying around, then it is not a low-cost replacement either. You can also buy the Dart Needlewheel http://www.championlighting.com/prod...roductid=34380 (that's the only place I've seen them still in stock). It's a long shot, but LMK if you want more info - I remember finding some great pictures around.

Bubble Blaster 5000 I think is another option, not low-cost either - needs some modding. You might find one on a shelf in Canada that pre-dates the exchange rate suckiness though.
My eyes practically crossed reading this. I currently run a dart as a return so I suppose I could tee it off somewhere but, this tank is currently running on good intentions because thats all I have time for. A replacement plug and play pump is likely the easiest, especially if I have to actually modify the skimmer. That will likely not go well and cost me a new skimmer anyways (my last attempt at modifications was a friggin nightmare and luckily someone came to my rescue big time). Thanks for the info though, its interesting even if totally not do-able for me

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:28 PM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

I will check when I get home on friday but I mayyyyyy have another impeller. If I do it's yours.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:29 PM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
If you end up skimmerless, let me know, I have a loaner you can use.
Thanks, I'm going to try the RC shop for a new carbon shaft and likely call reefdynamics tomorrow to figure something out.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:29 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

k. I have a RS180 under the stairs.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:34 PM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
k. I have a RS180 under the stairs.
LOL! theres a lot of space under those stairs eh?

My 180 Build

Old 02-15-2015, 09:35 PM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythanith View Post
I will check when I get home on friday but I mayyyyyy have another impeller. If I do it's yours.
OMG that would be awesome! Thanks!

My 180 Build