Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 01-17-2016, 09:57 PM

Fishy! is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie View Post
Lol mise well price out a custom sump as well...make the trip worth while.
It's coming to that. I have to do this in small increments as to avoid suspicion. She would take the tank in the divorce just to spite me, if she saw the total on it. Haha
Old 01-17-2016, 10:13 PM

Howie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy! View Post
It's coming to that. I have to do this in small increments as to avoid suspicion. She would take the tank in the divorce just to spite me, if she saw the total on it. Haha
Forgot to mention if you buy a stand from them the warrenty period is longer as well on the tank lol.....lol ya my total cost is something I don't like thinking about

Howie's 82g Tank Journal
Old 01-17-2016, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie View Post
Forgot to mention if you buy a stand from them the warrenty period is longer as well on the tank lol.....lol ya my total cost is something I don't like thinking about
Just read through your thread. I will defineately be tagging along. Nice to see another awesome concept tank.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:17 PM

Howie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Just read through your thread. I will defineately be tagging along. Nice to see another awesome concept tank.
Lol they make some really nice tanks. Looking forward to seeing your build.

Howie's 82g Tank Journal
Old 01-18-2016, 02:00 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
This was my intention. I am a carpenter by trade, it shouldn't be much of a challenge to build.
If you have the tools build it out of 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood laminated together then. You can do cut outs in the back to make room for the bulkheads. See attached image - can't remember where I found it. It's a DIY ADA stand (I don't think the 2x2s are necessary. I wish I saw that before I built my stand.

Quote:
This has been my fear all along, and I have been meaning to message Matt to get the distance from edge of bulkhead to the back of the tank. I actually had one of my welders do up a quote for a steel stand, worked out to being approx $325!!!!!! in material alone. That doesn't even account for his time and rods. The steel stand dream is quickly fading, unless i can find an alternate source for cheaper/free material.
Wow, hubby built my stand for $80 in steel, and a couple cans of automotive paint. We used 1" square tube, 1/8" wall thickness. Then I used magnets to mount panels on the stand. I can remove all the panels for full access to the sump area.

Quote:
Somewhere between 32-40" I am flexible on this. I think i will likely settle on 36" height.
Ok good, lots of room for the skimmer then, even if you have a raised floor in the stand for the sump.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ADAstand13.jpg (38.0 KB, 22 views)

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-18-2016, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Wow, hubby built my stand for $80 in steel, and a couple cans of automotive paint. We used 1" square tube, 1/8" wall thickness. Then I used magnets to mount panels on the stand. I can remove all the panels for full access to the sump area
This is where I figured I would be at. $80ish materials and double it for the labour. Steel prices are low right now too I think. I think my guy is out to lunch, which is odd, since he is usually pretty reasonable. I'll see what Matt comes back to me with.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:29 PM

Well, got a couple of changes coming down the pipe right now. Priced the stand out through Matt. It's a total no brainer to do it through him, price wise. It throws a bit of a wrench into our plans of taking the SUV to Calgary, but if gas prices keep coming down like they are it's really not that big of an issue. Anyone that owns a gmc 2500 with the 6.0l engine knows this struggle is real!
I also, after talking a look at a few tank threads with concept tanks, have decided to go with black silicone on the display. I have it set to have all the visible edges polished so I hope that this doesn't take away from that.(Opinions?)
Old 01-19-2016, 10:37 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Well, got a couple of changes coming down the pipe right now. Priced the stand out through Matt. It's a total no brainer to do it through him, price wise. It throws a bit of a wrench into our plans of taking the SUV to Calgary, but if gas prices keep coming down like they are it's really not that big of an issue. Anyone that owns a gmc 2500 with the 6.0l engine knows this struggle is real!
I also, after talking a look at a few tank threads with concept tanks, have decided to go with black silicone on the display. I have it set to have all the visible edges polished so I hope that this doesn't take away from that.(Opinions?)
Ask them to tool the silicone rather than finger it. You'll get a factory-looking edge. Imo, their typical fingered silicone is pretty disappointing. That's great you're going for the steel stand through Matt.

I hear you on gas prices - we have a Dodge Sport with Hemi. It's actually not bad on the highway, but it is TERRIBLE in the city.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Ask them to tool the silicone rather than finger it. You'll get a factory-looking edge. Imo, their typical fingered silicone is pretty disappointing. That's great you're going for the steel stand through Matt.

I hear you on gas prices - we have a Dodge Sport with Hemi. It's actually not bad on the highway, but it is TERRIBLE in the city.
I sent the request in for tooling the silicone. Felt kinda awkward asking him not to finger my silicone lol

Ya I get a whopping 11mpg on the highway with that beast. If I'm pulling a skid steer I get 8. Might as well bought a peterbuilt.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:42 AM

Felt like i had to show this off, since i have a tank journal now, i might as well do it here.
Top picture is from the day i moved my 15gal into my 20 Long. This monti cap broke in half during transport and this is what was left.
The bottom pic is 10 month later.