Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 08-25-2010, 03:04 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Maybe if the valve is cleaned religiously... which would mean it should be installed with with a ball valve and union on each end so that it can be removed and soaked in vinegar regularly. A lot of people complain about filter sock maintenance but compared to that they're a breeze. I've seen check valves fail and I know what the aftermath can look like. Definitely not worth the risk in my opinion. Plus 3600 minus head pressure isn't much flow for a 220gal tank unless Othicx only wants to keep soft coral so you may want to add another pump or some powerheads anyways.

BTW that last picture looks like a Euphyllia paradivisa. But its its kind of hard to tell from the photo.

Corallimorpharia is the Order, Discosomatidae is the Family and Rhrodactis is the Genus.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 08-25-2010, 03:40 AM

othicx is on a distinguished road

Well i am planning on softies for the first while anyway, and i do have a spot where i can put power heads if need be. As for the return and check valves, I am not sure what i will do for sure i still have some options that I was thinking about. Such as out of those return holes have the pipe run up close to the top so that if there was a power out there would be much less water to back flow. I am planning on having LR go quite high up almost even breaking the surface in some spots and these spots are where i would have the returns come out. Either way I'm trying to keep my options open so that i can change stuff to be the best possible setup with the least possible risk in the end Thank you very much for your opinion.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:09 AM

Nebthet is on a distinguished road

On your last pic on the first page you are asking what that is. It is a polycorynactis. Orange ball anemone, though not a true anemone, it is more related to the mushroom family. Usually found in cooler waters, but also found the temperate. Always a nice thing to see in the tank. I have a few in mine, one even is nestled among my dragon eye zoas and comes out at night when the zoas are closed up.
Nebthet Special Forces Aqua Division...Codename Nebanatior...Mission: Coral Recovery..... Don't say anymore on this form I've detected a key tap surveillance system ..I think they are on to you.. what hu no.. no....please..
Old 08-25-2010, 11:29 PM

haha nice . Ya it looks kinda cool. So i found a big crab in my tank this morning. i have no idea what kind it is and i cant get a pic of it yet. All i saw of it was a blueish body and red eyes. All his legs and claws were super tight to his body. Any ideas? I'll try and get a pic.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:25 AM

Water perameters seem good in my tank and i'm going to try to put a blue/green chromis or something.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:32 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

This is a good way to start out to get your feet wet, so to speak . Helps you learn what to check for and what to watch out for. As your rock was already in an established tank there should be next to no cycle. Working on some small easy coral to put in there for you.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 08-28-2010, 03:16 AM

Thanks Grizz you are my main man haha.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:16 PM

Well, I picked up a small frag of Zoa's at fragfest yesterday as well as getting a few softies off Grizz. WOW they are amazing and looking good. All the Zoa's are open, fuzzy mushroom is twice the size from when i put him in and the finger leather is extended and feeding tenticels are out I also put 4 fish in too. Here are some pics.

mushroom when i put it in

and now

and here is a FTS

sorry about the aptacia. I'll be dealing with that soon.

Last edited by othicx; 08-30-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:30 AM

Picked up a brain and a frogspawn the other day, but my wife took off with the camera so i can't take pics at the moment. When she gets back from work i'll take some and post them up. I also relocated the green Zoa's close to the blue Zoa.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:58 AM

Ok i got the pics taken so here they are

first off here is where i re-arranged my zoa's to.

and here is a FTS