Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 09-29-2010, 12:12 AM

shrimpchips is on a distinguished road

Well, it's been a long time (spoiler alert: nothing concrete has happened! lol), so I thought I'd give an update and get some opinions.

I've finalizd the dimensions and the tank is apparently done and ready to b delivered (I say apparently since I've been waiting on pics from Miracles for about a week now). The final specs for the tank is 42 x 24 x 24 (110g), with the front and two sides in 1/2" starphire glass. Bottom is 5/8" tempered with three holes, and a corner overflow with an angled front (Drawing from Miracles in Glass):

I modelled my stand after D2mini's stand on RC. Here's what I think it'll look like when all done and together:

Here are the stand blueprints. Let me know what you guys think:

I'll be losing the screwstrips in figure 3, instead opting for pocket screws to attach the uprights to the top and bottom frames. I'll probably also add gusseting to preventing racking. Also, the top frame will be 2 x 4, not 2 x 6, as many people agreed that it wouldn't be necessary.

Also, to attach the side panels, I'll be using recessed magnets, and for the front doors, I'll be using these nifty hinges:

Everything has to be held inside the stand (ATO reservoir, sump, dosing containers, etc:

I have changed the plumbing a bit to allow me to bypass the skimmer section and drain right into the return chamber, so that I can use the skimmer section for water changes.

Since the sump might have been a tight fit, I planned it all out too (that, and I like planning):

All that is left is to collect a few missing plumbing pieces, bild the stand and get the tank delivered! Hopefully all up and running by then end of October!
Old 09-29-2010, 12:28 AM

Nebthet is on a distinguished road

Nice.. I can't wait to see this tank come together. It has been a long time waiting..
The stand you are planning is really nice looking.
Nebthet Special Forces Aqua Division...Codename Nebanatior...Mission: Coral Recovery..... Don't say anymore on this form I've detected a key tap surveillance system ..I think they are on to you.. what hu no.. no....please..
Old 09-29-2010, 12:51 AM

purelife is on a distinguished road

Very nice will be a nice tank to watch progress, looking forward to future progress!
Old 09-29-2010, 04:00 AM

phyto4life is on a distinguished road

Nice.

So far so good.

"Corals,corals,corals-they are as fascinating as candle lights."
PHYTO4LIFE
Old 10-29-2010, 04:58 AM

sweet ride is on a distinguished road

so far so good, any updates?
Old 10-29-2010, 07:00 AM

Yep, I've made some decent progress. My acrylic things should arrive on Friday (a member of a local forum is making them for me), and I'm still waiting on plumbing from a local mail order store. Other than that, I'm just waiting on having a new 15A circuit installed behind the tank, and it's ready to go.

I built the stand in our living area (of a 600 sqft condo), so I had to cut everything at my parent's place and bring it over to assemble.

Here's the stand progression:
2x4 frame:

There's no screw strips for the uprights - instead they're pocket screwed into the base and top rails:

Everything was glued and screwed together:

I got it all skinned (1/2" ply for first layer, 3/4" for the finishing layer). The doors were just mocked up to see how it would look all together:

Now it's down in the garage - it just got two coats of Kliz (white) for the interior tonight, and I'll do a coat of black stain on the exterior before work tomorrow and after work to finish it off.

Tank got delivered today too

Custom angled overflow:

Sump tank (25g):

All nekked!

I was hoping to have it running by the end of the month, but I guess not. Hopefully I'll have it wet by the second or third week of November.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:06 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpchips View Post
I was hoping to have it running by the end of the month, but I guess not. Hopefully I'll have it wet by the second or third week of November.
You still have 3 days, including a weekend coming up! Get to it!

Great looking stand and tank! This one is going to be a beauty.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:22 PM

reefermadness is on a distinguished road

Wow ....cant believe I missed this. Looks great. Holy planning batman.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:31 PM

Kien, I can only hopw that my tank will look half as nice as your tanks do. Your rockscapes always inspire

Darryl, nice to see you here. I don't post on "that other site" anymore, so updates are here or on RC

I made some more progress on the stand yesterday/today. I got the second coat of Kliz on last night, and it looks pretty good - makes it much brighter inside of the stand. My last stand was painted black inside, and it makes it very dark, even when lit inside. This time it should be a lot easier to see things when it's nice and bright in there:

Here's the stand after the first coat of black stain:

I'm going to do a second coat tonight, then it should be done. Just going to let it air out a few days in the parking garage, then bring it back upstairs.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:28 AM

Rbacchiega is on a distinguished road

tagging along. looks like it's going to be a great tank
I've got so much glue on my pants it looks like a Friday night gone horribly wrong.