Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-09-2015, 10:35 PM

surfisjah is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone feed fish Costco Nori?

Has anyone used Costco Nori in their tank?
Old 02-09-2015, 11:44 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Is there something about Costco brand that is of a concern?

I feed my tangs nori all the time. Not specifically Costco nori, however, just whatever I get from whatever grocery store I'm at, whenever I feel like buying some. For what it's worth, I just have never gotten nori at Costco, so technically my answer is otherwise "no, not Costco" but otherwise I'd have had no concerns and would certainly get it if I happened to think about it the next time I am at Costco...
Old 02-09-2015, 11:47 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Costco brand is, or one of their products anyway, treated with several ingredients, one of which usually kills your fish My guess is grapeseed oil.

The product has the ingredients listed, and is a smaller package, so should be identifiable.
I met a woman at the LFS that showed me the package after it killed all her fish. LFS had heard of it before.

Make sure there is nothing but dried nori in the package!
Old 02-09-2015, 11:47 PM

GoFish is on a distinguished road

Are you talking about the small flavoured strips in to-go packs of 10 or full size sheets of sushi nori?
Old 02-10-2015, 12:03 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Small flavoured strips.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:37 AM
Gold Member

Tn23 is on a distinguished road

That stuff has salt and oil for sure. It's pretty tasty.. For humans however like Brad said it'll definitely do bad things to your fish/reef.

My answer is no. Never tried it for my reef tank
Old 02-10-2015, 02:44 AM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

I went through an entire costco sized box of that stuff in a week. More addictive than potato chips. I don't think the stuff I bought was kirkland, it came in individually wrapped little plastic trays with about 20 credit card sized sheets each. Some of the brands will have canola oil in them apparently, the kind I bought had some other weird kind of oil that I had to look up that is apparently used a lot in Asia but never over here. Can't remember what it was called now.

I wouldn't put anything in a tank that had oil added to it, but you can buy the raw stuff anywhere. There's tons of recipes online for making your own nori snacks using the big sheets of the raw stuff and healthier (for humans) oils.