Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-26-2011, 03:36 AM

Hustler is on a distinguished road

he is a hungry lil bugger.... and puts 2 of my 3 triggers back in there caves LOL Im sure he is home now and thanks again mate
Old 12-01-2011, 09:34 PM

Well.....
I got the skimmer running about 24hr ago.... had to wait for two sub pumps but there she is.... Looks like an old hippys bong.... covered in green crap
The bio reactor picked up real quick too... zeros across the board now and my kids eat like pigs
Also added another 110 lbs rock to the system and all my korilias ect....
Im a happy camper overall...Im not a plumber by trade so this was exhausing but i think i have it where i can relax a lil now Top off system Tunez should be done this weekend...

Old 12-01-2011, 09:37 PM

I was also kicking around the idea of building a false wall around the tank to hide all the guts....
But really the salt water hobby is all about whats under the skirt so i figure ill just wait for the new house to be built and do a fish room like lastlight.... till then im going skirt free LOL see my parts :P
Old 12-01-2011, 09:52 PM

And the angle shot.... I just love seeing em like this
Old 12-01-2011, 10:56 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Who told you I didn't wear skirts?

What can you tell us about that bio reactor? While bio-balls have been a no-no for a while now for us you mentioned these things are somehow different. So you 'get it' well enough to share with the class? I didn't find much online about these.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:02 PM

As far as i understood from the actual builder.....
They arent as bad as bio balls as the are constantly moving and dont have any waste stuck to them or collected around them....AND he has many giant reef builds in michigan he runs them on with no ill effects....
that being said i have "heard" they are still nitrate factories.... so delicate corals are a no no...
But i have zeros on all my test kits and last weekend added all the fish and a few days later more rock and its still picking up the slack....Maybe its the other 300lbs of rock mind you I just know whatever im doing its working and im feeding like crazy to try and save what few corals i have from the grazing cows ive picked up lol
Old 12-01-2011, 11:47 PM

Also.... I filled the overflow chamber with live rock too (packed it) I hope this works out....
I figure anywhere i can squeeze it is a good thing right?
Old 12-02-2011, 12:40 AM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler View Post
Also.... I filled the overflow chamber with live rock too (packed it) I hope this works out....
I figure anywhere i can squeeze it is a good thing right?
I found rocks pack in a sump or anywhere does not work to well. I have around 3600 gph flow through my sump and you would be surprised at everything that gets trapped in there. Turns into a nitrate/ detris factory.

360 Reef Tank
Old 12-03-2011, 03:21 PM

bryceschutte is on a distinguished road

JUst a quick heads up to look out for. I had a 90 gal tank in my basement right in front of a window like you have. I got a lot of condensation on the window when it got cold outside. It was enough that i ended up having to replace the window frame and some drywall. I recommend a large dehumidifier.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:03 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Lookin good!!!

Keep an eye on nitrate with that reactor on there, but it should be darn good at keeping ammonia and nitrite at zero. I wonder if the bio-thingies in there are a knock off of the Kaldnes media. Kaldnes media is supposed to tumble freely in the water which is supposed to make is self-cleaning. I know there are a lot of people who swear by the Kaldnes media on fish only systems - Dan Underwood of Seahorse Source Inc comes to mind.

Kaldnes comes in two sizes, K1 and K3. This is K1 media (I think it is about 3/4" around), is this what yours looks like?

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 12-03-2011 at 04:05 PM.