Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > JL Aquatics

Old 11-12-2014, 09:16 PM

ronau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
ok so pardon my ignorance, is this supposed replace powerheads, lessen the need for so many powerheads or work in accordance with powerheads?
I think replace powerheads.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:21 PM

FragIt Dan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
ok so pardon my ignorance, is this supposed replace powerheads, lessen the need for so many powerheads or work in accordance with powerheads?
It comes with a pump and power supply so I understand it to replace powerheads.
Save the Reef, Buy a Frag!
Old 11-12-2014, 09:32 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragIt Dan View Post
It comes with a pump and power supply so I understand it to replace powerheads.

Yes, I just see it being demonstrated in bare tanks (ie. sales pitches) with no powerheads but in fully stocked "mature tanks" with powerheads

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:19 PM
LOVES STAR WARS... mostly Ewoks and Porgs.

hunggi74 is on a distinguished road
Default Demo?

Jeff, I assume you will have one on demo at the store? Would love to see one "live" before committing i wonder if some people will have to rescape their tanks to make full use of the gyre current?
Old 11-13-2014, 01:28 AM

jlaquatics is on a distinguished road

We plan on putting one on display but we're just not sure exactly when at the moment. We are going to satisfy preorders first!

Jeff
J&L Aquatics
Old 11-13-2014, 04:48 PM

andestang is on a distinguished road

So unless I'm missing something with these, they really only cause a circular flow in one direction, thus on one side of towering/large aquascaping and larger pieces there will be dead/slow spots plus corals only getting the unnatural flow/current from one direction vs a set-up of vortechs or tunzes set up on opposite ends. How is this going to effect growth patterns ? Just when you consider how the tides coming in and then back out or currents change. I suppose you could mount one on each side/end to get this effect. For the dead spots a guess you could use power heads but then you are disrupting the flow effect that you are trying to achieve.

150g reef, 55g sump, T5's, Vertech 200A, Profilux III - German made is highly over rated, should just say Gerpan made.

Reefkeeper - individual obsessed with placing disturbing amounts of electricity and seawater in close proximity for the purpose of maintaining live coral reef organisms.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:56 PM

ronau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by andestang View Post
So unless I'm missing something with these, they really only cause a circular flow in one direction, thus on one side of towering/large aquascaping and larger pieces there will be dead/slow spots plus corals only getting the unnatural flow/current from one direction vs a set-up of vortechs or tunzes set up on opposite ends. How is this going to effect growth patterns ? Just when you consider how the tides coming in and then back out or currents change. I suppose you could mount one on each side/end to get this effect. For the dead spots a guess you could use power heads but then you are disrupting the flow effect that you are trying to achieve.
Well you are missing the fact you can set it to surge and reverse gyre.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:45 PM

jordsyke is on a distinguished road

they flow in reverse is only maybe 10% of the flow forward but u can set it to 100% and it will make somewhat of a reverse flow, but even when in forward direction u have it above all ur corals and rocks , the lfow hits the other side of the tank and comes back around but some of it goes in random directions which causes good flow around the whole tank IMO. One thing you can also do is use the extra rotors and cages to have one side of the pump strong in forward and the other side strong in revers. this will give you a good gyre in both directions.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:18 PM

andestang is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronau View Post
Well you are missing the fact you can set it to surge and reverse gyre.
If you think I'm dissing the pump, I'm not. Just sorting out the pro's and con's. As for the reverse gyre I would think this is not going to be anywhere near as effective as the normal flow. It will be hitting bottom almost right away and then trying to build momentum with a lot more restricted area along the bottom (rocks and all things typically placed/starting on the bottom) vs the surface let alone the sand that will be blown away/around at the initial contact point of the bottom (if you use sand).

150g reef, 55g sump, T5's, Vertech 200A, Profilux III - German made is highly over rated, should just say Gerpan made.

Reefkeeper - individual obsessed with placing disturbing amounts of electricity and seawater in close proximity for the purpose of maintaining live coral reef organisms.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:15 PM

jlaquatics is on a distinguished road

It's important to note that the Maxspect Gyre doesn't have to be the only flow providing device in the aquarium. I can see it working out well alongside a Tunze Stream pump or Vortech pump.

The type of water motion this device creates is perhaps it's biggest asset. A wide "blade like" flow mimics surge flow over shallow reefs.