Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 10-22-2011, 12:23 AM

silentcivilian is on a distinguished road

Haha, thanks! Its the last place I wanted one, its the last place I expected one.. but murphy's law states.. if you think you can be screwed 7 ways to Sunday, chances are life will find 8 ways
Old 10-22-2011, 12:41 AM

badfish! is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to badfish!

How long would a peppermint shrimp last in that tank?
Old 10-22-2011, 01:34 AM

MKLKT is on a distinguished road

Just how mobile is an octopus when it has escaped? Is it like a hamster that hides behind the deep freezer? Haha
Old 10-22-2011, 01:42 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKLKT View Post
Just how mobile is an octopus when it has escaped? Is it like a hamster that hides behind the deep freezer? Haha
I used to maintain the cold water tanks at the local college years ago, and the octopus would continually escape. They're really mobile
Old 10-22-2011, 01:49 AM

MKLKT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I used to maintain the cold water tanks at the local college years ago, and the octopus would continually escape. They're really mobile
I know they're crafty escape artists but I meant more like how far from the enclosure do they go without water?
Old 10-22-2011, 02:26 AM

silentcivilian is on a distinguished road

From what ive read in the past, and my understanding, they can move very far. Rumors have it some aquariums they will move from tank to tank during the night for extra feeding, which could be as far as crossing a office, then a up a hall, around a corner, through another office, into that tank. They dont need to be in water, they can actually just be splashed with it and be able to cope as they absorb water through their skin and transport it to their gills. Ive read in more than a few articals that they even know right and wrong, and when they sneak into tanks they will hide shells of what they eat, and when fed, leave the shells out. To me, some of the most amazing creatures, but I still vote better left in the ocean!

And shrimp will last as long as it takes for my guys to get hungry. It would more than likely be the eel that got the shrimp. So... 10 minutes!
Old 10-22-2011, 02:40 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Wow, I would have reported that LFS to Fish and Wildlife explaining the astounding danger of that octopus. I can't believe they didn't evacuate the store and close it down until the octopus was found. With the future of captive reef fish up in the air lately, the last thing we need is a octopus killing a browsing customer.

SPS fanatic.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:00 AM

philg3 is on a distinguished road

I came across this earlier today. It probably wasnt a Petco you were visiting, but i thought it might apply anyways.

http://blog.aquanerd.com/2011/10/ple...rom-petco.html

I always buy as much product from the little guys as I can. Even if the hardware costs a little more, you probably end up getting it back in free frags etc. once you get to know them personally.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:27 AM

badfish! is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to badfish!

Would you even be able to use an aiptasia killing chemical if its on the back of the stone (would it hurt his skin? I'm guessing he doesnt shed his skin), if you could could you use one of the really long turkey basters (the ones that extend)?
Old 10-22-2011, 04:10 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKLKT View Post
I know they're crafty escape artists but I meant more like how far from the enclosure do they go without water?
Ours would be a long ways away, down the hall, around the corner is some class room. They travel well on land.