Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 04-02-2010, 02:14 AM

sitandwatch is on a distinguished road
Default 105 Shallow Paradise Redux

Finally getting this tank build going, I have had the tank for a couple of weeks and its time to start the journal for it.

Specs:

105 gal 72x24x14 Josh's old tank
55 gal sump I think
Bubble Magus BM180-CS - Skimmer
60" 8x80W ATI Powermodule
MP20 and some Koralia 3's, thinking of MP40's, if I can find the cash
Tunze ATO

Current stock list:

Pair of clowns
Red lip Blenny
Mystery Wrasse
Dwarf Golden Moray eel (Currently hanging out at Red Coral)

Thats all I know right now, hope to get the plumbing, water and rock in by next week.

Here are some quick photos

And the kids in the tank shot.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:18 AM

lobsterboy is on a distinguished road

awesome Brian, look forward to this.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:24 AM

karazy is on a distinguished road

sounds like a pretty expensive equiptment bill.
how do you plan on preventing the dwarf golden eel from escaping the tank?
Old 04-02-2010, 03:37 AM

Location: Edmonton, AB...find the earie glow of the T5 lights coming from a house lol
bauder1986 is on a distinguished road

tagging along for the ride
Old 04-02-2010, 03:41 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Oooh. Karazy brings up a good point. If you plan on keeping the tank open top you should rethink the eel I'm afraid. Trust me - I know how awesome they are and how tempting it is. But it is literally only a matter of time before it will crawl over the edge or jump straight out.

The first golden dwarf I ever had, escaped a tank that I thought was locked down like Fort Knox. You would be amazed what they can get out of. And they will try, sooner or later, they are just naturally curious that way.

What you can do, if you're really set on keeping him, is build a canopy of sorts. You can still keep it open top if the edges all around are fenced off, but it will need to be a minimum of 8" tall. I have seen them jump out of a bucket and clear easily 8" out of the water.

Sorry. I know it's not what you want to hear but trust me there is nothing more heartbreaking than finding your beloved golden dwarf eel as a fossilized stick on the floor.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:43 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

BTW, I should mention though, that this system looks to be a real beaut and I can't wait to see it running! Good luck with the build!
Old 04-02-2010, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karazy View Post
sounds like a pretty expensive equipment bill.
how do you plan on preventing the dwarf golden eel from escaping the tank?
I have blown my budget right out of the water, I bought the tank on a whim and did not really think or look up equipment until after, that being said I already have some of it and the most expensive item the lights I got a great deal "Thanks Red Coral"

I am going to start with praying the eel stays in, I don't really want a cover but knowing that they like to escape so I am going to devise one and use it when I am not around.

Delphinus: Thanks for the advice, I am super keen on one but I really don't want to see it on the floor either. Do you know the size of hole they can get through?

Last edited by sitandwatch; 04-02-2010 at 04:00 AM. Reason: More Info
Old 04-02-2010, 05:13 AM

The one I lost to escaping managed his way out about a 1/4" opening in the top lid of the tank. My mistake was to try a cover glass instead of a canopy fence - because of the tank having powerheads I had an area for the wires to pass through and I think this is how he managed his way out.

The one I have right now is in my cube tank which is open top, but has a ghetto box fence on the top all the way around. The front hatch just flips up when I need in the tank to feed or whatever, and I use a latch to keep the door closed otherwise. Mine is totally ghetto but if you wanted to see a good example of a nicer version, look up fishoholics tank journal - she has the same idea on her tank, but I think it has tile or something to match the stand. I think it looks pretty good, anyhow.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:23 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Looks good Brian.. Can't wait to see it full of life.

Doug did some nice work on the stand! :biggrin

BTW what are using a different sump?

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988

Last edited by JDigital; 04-02-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:44 AM

Ok here I go, just got the sump added in.

But first I have to give big props to Doug "Fishytime" if you saw the last tank stand it was not finish, with Doug's killer skills he finished it up and its looks great, if you need a tank stand talk to Doug.

The sump is now a 55gal that I traded with Doug, I switched him the shallow tank that he may use for a clam tank or whatever he would like.

I was able to get the sump into the stand by removing some bracing so I really don't want to have to remove it a again.

So I am thinking and have placed the sump in to get this.
Skimmer --> Return <--- Refugium

I will be able to drop the overflow right into the skimmer and t it off to the Refugium.

My other thought was to go refugium --> Skimmer --> Return, this would be easier to plumb but was not sure it would be best for the tank.

If you have any suggestions and recommendations please let me know, I am a plumbing newbie so any suggestions with that would also be helpful.

Oh no check valve with the bigger sump I will be able to handle the extra water with the larger sump.

Thanks for looking and you esteemed advice.