Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Tank Build Contest #1

Old 10-23-2008, 08:35 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

yeah I was taking about the so called "scrap" for baffles, by that reasoning any used equipment I have lying around could be considered "scrap".
Old 10-23-2008, 08:38 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

i think he got all the glass for the baffles when he cracked the first tank he tried to drill. and yes most anything (building supplies) are considered free.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:10 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Dark sand let's poop fly under the radar. Very nice considering how many hours each day you have your nose pressed up against the glass!
Old 10-23-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuappo View Post
i think he got all the glass for the baffles when he cracked the first tank he tried to drill. and yes most anything (building supplies) are considered free.
So if you break something or part of something it's scrap? I didn't see that in the rules. So you're saying if you build your own sump using "building supplies" it doesn't count towards the budget?? But if buy a sump it does? The way I see it is if he used the other tank for the sump that's two 10 gallon tanks that need to be deducted for the sump, not one.

I'm a little confused where all these in-between the line rules are coming from. And who's exactly is running this contest and calling the shots, you guys need to be on the same page. I would have used a sump if I had known it would not count towards the budget.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:16 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

The "glass" baffle that you THINK you see are not glass... it is left over acrylic from a viewing/camera box I attempted making 2 months ago.. I never went out and bought new acrylic... My cracked tank is still sitting in the backyard where I left it with all 5 sides intact, cracked, but intact.

You used scrap acrylic on your AIO tank... no different that my acrylic in my sump. I don't see any between the line rules in that respect. My sump cost me just over $80 of my budget, and I have deducted it... Whats your point? When your AIO setup cost you nothing with all your scrap acrylic and broken glass.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 10-23-2008, 11:11 PM

An AIO is different, it's part of the display tank which does not count towards the budget, I clarified this with you before I built it. The sump cost is suppose to count towards the budget. So basically you agree that a sump made from scrap will not count towards the budget? That is most certainly reading between the lines. I'm sure others including myself would have liked to know that before. And you only deducted $17 for your sump, last time I checked a return pump isn't a sump.

And where's your receipt for the light fixture? I'm sorry but I don't see why you should be given any special treatment.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:36 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
An AIO is different, it's part of the display tank which does not count towards the budget, I clarified this with you before I built it. The sump cost is suppose to count towards the budget. So basically you agree that a sump made from scrap will not count towards the budget? That is most certainly reading between the lines. I'm sure others including myself would have liked to know that before. And you only deducted $17 for your sump, last time I checked a return pump isn't a sump.

And where's your receipt for the light fixture? I'm sorry but I don't see why you should be given any special treatment.
The sump tank cost $16.99, baffles were scrap, there is nothing else in the sump, let alone to take cost on. Was right in the rules man... it was discussed prior the contest starting.

Actually, since you refused to provide a pic for me of your SPS, when I REQUESTED one, I see no reason to provide a receipt for you... INSTEAD, I'll "compromise" (that's what you called it in your PM right????) and give you the link to the FS thread I bought it from. http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=21140 Take it or leave it sphelps.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 10-23-2008, 11:56 PM

Well first off I can't view that link, so it's not good enough. Second I posted the picture you requested as you threatened to kick me out of the contest despite that I already corrected the budget for the one frag that was slightly bigger than 2". Plus the rules state something about the "honer system" which obviously doesn't apply here anymore. My compromise was charging the full price for the one and only one frag that could potentially be bigger than 2", but I still took the picture as requested anyway. The least you could do is set an example and follow your own rules, you should have known you needed a receipt and hassled someone else for one already so you should provide one, no if ands or buts about it.

And you still keep dancing around that fact that you should be deducting some value for the acrylic used in the sump unless you agree a sump made from scrap does not count towards the budget.

Some of the frags I put in my tank were actually "scraps" accidentally broken off corals during cleaning and fraging other corals so can I take those off my budget?

Last edited by sphelps; 10-24-2008 at 12:14 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:20 AM

scholar is on a distinguished road

guys wow relax this is more about haveing fun!!! if it looks like some one is going to town and not claiming it then im sure it will come out but there is no reason to fight like this
Old 10-24-2008, 12:27 AM

I'm all for the honer system and it's all for fun idea but I don't like being harassed, threatened and being required to take pictures with measurements to satisfy some guy on a power trip. I never liked the receipt idea and made that clear earlier but it was perused so I don't see why the pursuer should be excused.