Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 04-01-2016, 06:21 PM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road

Well it took me like 3 years to figure out what settings made for the best photos with my old tank and my camera..... So these photos really do suck, and this is going to take awhile to figure out.

New fish are doing well. The Kole tang has quite the personality. Sailfin is a bit more shy, and the butterfly is just a bit.... psychotic. If he eats my SPS I would honestly not care haha but the moment he starts eating the euphyllia he will be pan fried for the cats.
Very excited though.... finally have a tank big enough for tangs! Not the big big ones mind you, no Dorys..... but yay tangs!

I am thinking I want to add more anthias to the tank. Most of my fish are so dark, I want some bright colours there. So if J&L still has some perhaps I will add a few. Will also need to pick up my clean up crew. Only had a few snails we actually found in the old one. Figured I'd give algae some time to grow a nice film on everything so I'm not starving the snails.

We've been using a mirror on and off to ensure the Anthias and Melanarus behave themselves. The Kole seems to really love his reflection as well.

Hopefully the 50gallon I am planning to use for my sump will be ready next week, then I can get some baffles in there and ditch these stupid micro bubbles.

Theres so much dog hair and probably my hair in the tank too.... strings off various rocks and sps, the overflow... jeeze.... messy messy

Old 04-01-2016, 07:36 PM

Ryanerickson is on a distinguished road

Looks good pics are great
Old 04-01-2016, 08:16 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Looking great!

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 04-02-2016, 06:11 PM
Follows the rules!

Thanks
I cant even remember what the lights were at when I did the pictures.... still have a lot more playing around with the lights to do... and I probably need to stop dropping my camera, might help with some quality issue...

Think I will try and get the lights cable mounted to the ceiling next weekend, so I can use the pulley to bring them up and down when I access the tank.... Issue = Vaulted ceilings.... the tank is right under where the ceiling is the highest. Gonna have to find chains or something else to find a mounting point 10 feet closer to the ground since the hanging kits that came with the lights certainly wont reach 12ft into the air....

Sounds like the Butterfly is starting to be a turd face. He was doing so good He's getting cocky... I was letting him get away with SPS eating so I think hes going a step too far, might have a fish to rehome in a few days

Anyone have any ideas about anthias species to add? I was preferably thinking 5 or 6 more Lyretails, but J&L doesn't have that many.... I'm wondering how well my Butt head male lyretail would do with 5 or 6 girls of another Pseudanthias genus fish.... can they withstand his BS? I'm not too familiar with the "aggression" levels between the different species.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:17 PM

coolhandgoose is on a distinguished road

Instead of mounting to the ceiling, could you just make something that mounts to the wall behind the tank and sticks out over the tank?
Old 04-02-2016, 07:25 PM
Follows the rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhandgoose View Post
Instead of mounting to the ceiling, could you just make something that mounts to the wall behind the tank and sticks out over the tank?
I did that with my last tank. It kind of takes away from the look of the tank....
Theyd still have to be tall enough that I can adjust the lights high enough to fit my body between them and my tank.
plus id think hanging 2 sets of lights off whatever would require support in the front of whatever I'm hanging it off of, which would get in the way.
Plus we are not attempting to move that tank again unless we absolutely have to
Old 04-02-2016, 07:46 PM

coolhandgoose is on a distinguished road

I guess it depends on how it's built. If you painted angle iron the same colour as your wall and then bolt it into the studs you could easily have angle iron coming off of it not needing support. But you know your set up best, gotta do what's going to work for you in the long run.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:09 PM

Tyfighter is on a distinguished road

You could probably rig up something out of aviation cable with a pulley to raise and lower. The cable looks a lot cleaner than chain in my opinion.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:22 PM
Follows the rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyfighter View Post
You could probably rig up something out of aviation cable with a pulley to raise and lower. The cable looks a lot cleaner than chain in my opinion.
The lights came with a set of cable shown here
http://www.ledzeal.com/p46.html

Its just getting from a beam in the ceiling to wherever those cables will start. I didn't open the packages up to see how long they are.
IMO the chain wouldn't look that bad... if we got the same stuff that matched the dining room and kitchen lights so once again... everything in the house is matching.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:02 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Decent set up, looks good so far, I didn't have time to carefully read so sorry if you already posted but was wondering what LEDs you are running?

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips