Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-30-2013, 09:21 PM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road

Yea that's why I'm going to the Hanna low range checker I was sick as tired of guessing if this tint of blue was a bit bluer then That tint of blue
Old 12-30-2013, 09:58 PM

craigwmiller is on a distinguished road

My Reagent lot #'s are:
A: 10305114
B: 10305115

I have the Hanna meter also, and generally love it, except as noted earlier, I got 2 readings of 0.13 and 0.00 from the same lot #, which lead me to pickup the Elos, and it shows fully colorless :/

The procedure with the Hanna is not ideal...

I'm sure more people are with me in that I'm very willing to pay more for a more precise (foolproof), and SIMPLE, test for some of these things. Phosphate and Alk specifically... I would love a simple test (probe or even titration), that was solid, I'm good for a recurring $100/year-ish or even a higher one-time rig!
Old 12-30-2013, 10:13 PM

Too bad they don't make a machine thats small you put a sample in a it spits out cal mag alk phos and nitrate lol
Old 12-30-2013, 10:21 PM

craigwmiller is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigdillman View Post
Too bad they don't make a machine thats small you put a sample in a it spits out cal mag alk phos and nitrate lol
Actually I think they do, but I'm not rich enough yet

http://thriveaquatics.com/products/t...water-lab.html
http://reefbuilders.com/2013/02/20/thrive-water-lab/

Old 12-30-2013, 10:22 PM

That thing is pretty cool
Old 12-30-2013, 11:28 PM

iceman86 is on a distinguished road

So I pull out the old api kit and test my phophates and it reads 2. Yes not .2 but 2 so I immedietly switched out my phosphate media. No wonder I had a cyano break out and I thought it was because I was dosing vodka to get my nitrates down. Weird part is I never got any type of nuisance algae except cyano and yellow corals turned green.

Conclusion: bad elos test kit

Thanks for everyones help
Old 12-31-2013, 05:20 PM

allie_san is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
With the Hanna, there are a few things you have to be careful with to ensure that you get consistent and accurate test results. But sure beats the heck out of all the color test kits. I used to think I had low phosphates, until I got the Hanna.
What things are those? I'm wondering if my test results are skewed now.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:57 PM

Magickiwi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by allie_san View Post
First, get a live chicken. It has to be live and if you can get one with mostly white and red feathers. If it has black feathers the test won't work.

Next wave the chicken in counter-clockwise circles around your tester. For the love of God DON'T go clockwise, that's big trouble.

After you've done six complete rotations and 1 half rotation raise the chicken to the East. It has to be the East because the West is for Alk testing.

Next put on a pair of non-latex powder-free rainforest friendly examination gloves, blue if you can find them.

After you have the gloves on put the chicken in a brown burlap bag and place it in the corner of the room furthest away from your sump.

Keep in mind this only works if you have more yellow fish than orange or blue. For blue fish the process is totally different.

Once the bagged chicken is in the corner furthest from your sump you take the checker and spill some water in the middle of the pentagram on the floor. I forgot to mention the pentagram on the floor, draw it in orange or white chalk, white is a little easier to find and it tastes better in step 27.

It goes on from here...
Old 12-31-2013, 06:12 PM

AdamsB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magickiwi View Post
First, get a live chicken. It has to be live and if you can get one with mostly white and red feathers. If it has black feathers the test won't work.

Next wave the chicken in counter-clockwise circles around your tester. For the love of God DON'T go clockwise, that's big trouble.

After you've done six complete rotations and 1 half rotation raise the chicken to the East. It has to be the East because the West is for Alk testing.

Next put on a pair of non-latex powder-free rainforest friendly examination gloves, blue if you can find them.

After you have the gloves on put the chicken in a brown burlap bag and place it in the corner of the room furthest away from your sump.

Keep in mind this only works if you have more yellow fish than orange or blue. For blue fish the process is totally different.

Once the bagged chicken is in the corner furthest from your sump you take the checker and spill some water in the middle of the pentagram on the floor. I forgot to mention the pentagram on the floor, draw it in orange or white chalk, white is a little easier to find and it tastes better in step 27.

It goes on from here...

Ok I'm half way done and satin is asking for my first born clownfish, what's next?
Old 12-31-2013, 06:24 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by allie_san View Post
First, before you start, have your reagent pack cut, and opened/shaped ready to pour the powder into the vial. It is very important that you get all the powder into the vial really quick without spilling any.

Be sure the vial is always clean, inside and out.

After the C2 comes on, note the exact time in seconds and pour the reagent into the vial, and swirl for almost the full 3 min. It is very important that all the powder is dissolved and no micro bubbles. Then insert, close, and hold the button until the 3 min timer shows on the display. If you just press and release, you will get a reading but it will not be accurate. After the 3 min counts down, you will get your reading.

My Hanna checker readings are consistently accurate, and usually don't vary more than .01 when I have done more than one test.

Before when I was using the color test kits, they would read zero while the Hanna would read .6 and higher. It is very hard to distinguish white, and a slight off white, and they always read too low.

I use the Low Range Hanna Phosphate Checker, model HI 713 and reagents are HI 713-25.