Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 04-22-2014, 11:45 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough
Default Help, I Need A New Skimmer ?

So for the last few months I have noticed that my skimmer (Bubble Magus 220CS) hasn't quite been performing up to par. I've noticed that I just haven't been getting much in the collection cup, no mater what I do (wet skim, dry skim). I've tried adjusting the level of the water in the skimmer kneck/cup. I've even given the skimmer a thorough take-apart and vinagar bath. Another thing that is really aggrivating me is the fact that my skimmer seems to be ejecting a lot of micro bubbles out of it. Nothing has changed in the tank so I have no idea what could be causing this. I don't think it's the level of water that it is in because that hasn't changed in 5 years and I specifically designed the sump with the correct water height in mind for this skimmer.

Anyway, I'm getting quite frustrated with it and am about to toss it into the recycling bin. I can't think of much that can go wrong with a skimmer other than a faulty pump/needle wheel? Which baffles me because clearly the needle wheel is functioning because it is generating a lot of bubbles and they are entering the skimmer column. For some reason a lot of these microbubbles seem to be escaping the skimmer (out of the outlet).

I'm pretty much ready to buy a new skimmer but I haven't kept up with skimmers for 5 years now so I don't really know what's out there. Suggestions? Or does someone have an idea of what to investigate to repair my skimmer? I thought about maybe tryingn to replace the needle wheel itself, or maybe the whole pump, but it seems to me like both are doing their job? So if I replace those components and find that the skimmer still sucks goat nads, well, then that's money wasted.

Oh, and the pump that it uses is an Eheim 1260 with a needle wheel impeller.

Last edited by kien; 04-22-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:49 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

I see a poll coming!
Old 04-22-2014, 11:51 PM

FishingGoalie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
So for the last few months I have noticed that my skimmer (Bubble Magus 220CS) hasn't quite been performing up to par. I've noticed that I just haven't been getting much in the collection cup, no mater what I do (wet skim, dry skim). I've tried adjusting the level of the water in the skimmer kneck/cup. I've even given the skimmer a thorough take-apart and vinagar bath. Another thing that is really aggrivating me is the fact that my skimmer seems to be ejecting a lot of micro bubbles out of it. Nothing has changed in the tank so I have no idea what could be causing this. I don't think it's the level of water that it is in because that hasn't changed in 5 years and I specifically designed the sump with the correct water height in mind for this skimmer.

Anyway, I'm getting quite frustrated with it and am about to toss it into the recycling bin. I can't think of much that can go wrong with a skimmer other than a faulty pump/needle wheel? Which baffles me because clearly the needle wheel is functioning because it is generating a lot of bubbles and they are entering the skimmer column. For some reason a lot of these microbubbles seem to be escaping the skimmer (out of the outlet).

I'm pretty much ready to buy a new skimmer but I haven't kept up with skimmers for 5 years now so I don't really know what's out there. Suggestions? Or does someone have an idea of what to investigate to repair my skimmer? I thought about maybe tryingn to replace the needle wheel itself, or maybe the whole pump, but it seems to me like both are doing their job? So if I replace those components and find that the skimmer still sucks goat nads, well, then that's money wasted.
Im absolutely LOVING my Vertex Omega 150. The build quality is Fan freeking tastic. I love the fact that the collection cup screws on so when opening it it doesn't get stuck and when it finally gives it doesn't go everywhere. I did have to build it up a couple inches but its still good. I think Wais had a bunch when i was last there. It even looks good.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinGoalie View Post
Im absolutely LOVING my Vertex Omega 150. The build quality is Fan freeking tastic. I love the fact that the collection cup screws on so when opening it it doesn't get stuck and when it finally gives it doesn't go everywhere. I did have to build it up a couple inches but its still good. I think Wais had a bunch when i was last there. It even looks good.
That is a very nice skimmer. I know a few people who have that skimmer. HOwever, because I have a ridonkulously high bioload I'd like to have a skimmer that's rated for double my water volume. My current skimmer is currently rated for 315-450g ! I'd like to replace it with something of a similar rating
Old 04-23-2014, 12:07 AM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road

Have you emailed the company ? They might be able to help or replace or trouble shoot for you
Old 04-23-2014, 12:07 AM

FishingGoalie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
That is a very nice skimmer. I know a few people who have that skimmer. HOwever, because I have a ridonkulously high bioload I'd like to have a skimmer that's rated for double my water volume. My current skimmer is currently rated for 315-450g ! I'd like to replace it with something of a similar rating
AHhhhhhh Im sure Vertex has a skimmer thats much bigger with the same build quality.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigdillman View Post
Have you emailed the company ? They might be able to help or replace or trouble shoot for you
That's probably no a bad idea if I can just find some contact info. I'll have to ask The Google..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinGoalie View Post
AHhhhhhh Im sure Vertex has a skimmer thats much bigger with the same build quality.
Ya, i looked and the larger line of skimmers i the Alpha Cone. Unfortunately the model hat I'd like to get, Alpha Cone 250, won't fit in my sump.

EDIT: oh i just noticed there is an Alpha Cone 200 that will fit in my sump. I'll add that to my list of candidates.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:33 AM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Well for a BM that skimmer has done you well!! Are the air lines clear of salt buildup? Do you know if you can replace the venturi?

Id try to replace the impellor assembly first. Then id think of going new.

Id go vertex or skimz if I had to buy new.

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 04-23-2014, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy! View Post
Well for a BM that skimmer has done you well!! Are the air lines clear of salt buildup? Do you know if you can replace the venturi?

Id try to replace the impellor assembly first. Then id think of going new.

Id go vertex or skimz if I had to buy new.
Asking Google seems to turn up $120 to $150 replacement needle wheels and none locally. I'd have to order from the US and add shipping and duties etc. That's pricy for a fix that i'm not sure will guarantee a fix to my micro bubble problem.. I have no clue if the venturi is replaceable. Google isn't much help. In fact, there's not a lot of information on this skimmer. Seems people just toss it out
Old 04-23-2014, 01:38 AM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Eeww. Yeah that dosnt sound feasible.

Sounds like someone's got the upgrade itch! Not that I think you should do that though.......

..........DOOO IIIITTTTT

They call it addiction for a reason...