Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-06-2013, 12:16 AM

SanguinesDream is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
Good growth comes with stability, frequent changes will inhibit growth. Once you control water its simply lighting and flow, both are dependant on the coral.

I've found bright bright bright lights and lots of flow get insane growth, every new zoa is a risk on whether or not they adjust, contrary to belief alot of the more sought after zoas we collect are hardier than fresh imports since they've most likely been raised in similiar systems
How do you chose which area to frag from and how large of a frag do you take from a colony?
Old 09-06-2013, 12:21 AM

Misses.ReefWars is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanguinesDream View Post
How do you chose which area to frag from and how large of a frag do you take from a colony?
any area will be fine , the best is to use a brand new razor blade and cut under the mats , and slice between polyps(not the polyps them selves) the live rock is usually pretty soft , if the polyps are spaced apart and not tight ill just use my bone cutters to snip a piece. youll want to **** the zoas off a bit and have them close their polyps.

as for where to cut in a colonie i prefer to cut out the outside edges, if you cut a polyp in half it will grow back.

the size is really dependant on what you want to do , if its a small colonie you may only want to cut a few polyps if its very large you could make several larger frags.

not all zoas will frag well and not all appreciate being out of water , its trail and error here for that one

if this goes well for you maybe we will move on to grafting

recently grafted a sunny d and a tyree spacemonster together and i did a rasta with a purple hornet, will see in time how they graft but so far so good

hth

denny