Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 09-28-2008, 06:18 PM

seanoman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus View Post
hey man the tank looks great I see that you took out your sand bed, it there a reason why you did. Im in that problem that i have a 120 gal going and going to be switching out the 120 to a longer 150 tank. So with that being said I want to use the sand bed but i may get a spike from moving it over so im undecided yet. i may put some in the back and that is it,but still unsure. if i didnt have the sand bed the tank switch would be easier.

but oh well time will tell. love your fire fish. i had 6 of them 4 normals and 2 purple and they all jumped to fishy heaven good luck with yours.

mike
Hey thanks Asmodeus! The reason why we took our sandbed out was that for one, it was so fine that with the 2 tunze 6200's, it would never stay in one spot and it didn't look good with patches everywhere. Also, we were having issues with phosphates and nitrates, so we figured the sand wasn't seeded properly and because of the first reason, we just decided to take it out and go bare bottom for the time being. I personally dont like the look of it with our aquscaping, because there is so much that is open, but my wife really likes the bare bottom look. So who knows what we will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDP View Post
Very nice! That butterfly is gorgeous... such nice fish.
Yeah that butterfly has done so well in our tank. The only thing is, is that he wont eat any prepared foods. It took us awhile, but we finally got him eating live manilla clams and a little bit of nori now and then. Luckily they aren't expensive and all the other fish just love it too.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:57 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I know due to monitor colour profiles and a bazillion other factors I can almost garantee your lights don't appear exactly as I'm seeing them but...

I love their appearance!

Can you explain what type of bulbs you are running and how many? Thanks!

Brett
Old 09-28-2008, 09:44 PM

Snappy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanoman View Post
Hey thanks Asmodeus! The reason why we took our sandbed out was that for one, it was so fine that with the 2 tunze 6200's, it would never stay in one spot and it didn't look good with patches everywhere. Also, we were having issues with phosphates and nitrates, so we figured the sand wasn't seeded properly and because of the first reason, we just decided to take it out and go bare bottom for the time being. I personally dont like the look of it with our aquscaping, because there is so much that is open, but my wife really likes the bare bottom look. So who knows what we will do.
Sean the tank looks great by the way. In my tank I use a sand that is quite course and in the high flow areas I use small rubble that doesn't blow away andit works very well and in my opinion still looks quite natural.

Greg
Old 09-29-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight
I know due to monitor colour profiles and a bazillion other factors I can almost garantee your lights don't appear exactly as I'm seeing them but...

I love their appearance!

Can you explain what type of bulbs you are running and how many? Thanks!
The light combo that we are using is 3 400 watt 12K reeflux bulbs in lumenarc reflectors and we are also using 6 ATI VHO actinics. We are pretty happy with how the lighting looks right now with the overall blue hue and seem to be getting decent coloration and growth from them as well.

Snappy, thanks for the compliments and advice, we may end up putting another sandbed in, in the future but I think that for the next little while we will stay with the bare bottom and see how it goes. My wife likes the bare bottom look as I said before but she also really loves jawfish, so she may want to put it in again so that we can have a jawfish or two in the tank.

Last edited by christyf5; 09-29-2008 at 09:26 PM. Reason: fixed quote :)
Old 09-29-2008, 07:11 PM

whoops...that quote didn't work out quite right.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:51 PM

Default growth and fish pics

here's some growth shots:

May 2008 (Mike Paletta Lovelli)

Today

May 2008 (Popsicle Poccillopora)

Today...we actually have 2 pieces of this as the frag broke when we got it home. This is of just the one frag.

May 2008 (bubble gum tri color)

Today

May 2008 (rainbow milli)

Today

raccoon butterfly

yellow fin flasher wrasse

Enjoy!
Old 06-15-2010, 06:24 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Nice build. Any update pics? :-)