Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-19-2015, 06:11 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer Rob View Post
Absolutely! Captive bread fish are little harder, but many of us have tanks that are 100% captive bread corals.
Yes, it's so cool when people have 100% cultured corals! LPS tanks are usually the worst for wild corals, but softy and SPS tanks are often full of maricultured and hobbyist-cultured corals. It's a beautiful thing.

My tank has 3 wild Aussie Acros and 1 wild Zoa colony, and part of me regrets buying these because there are so many cultured options. The rest of my corals are maricultured and hobbyist-cultured.

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:11 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
When I see things like this, I think our efforts and money need to be spent focusing on awareness (shark fins aren't going to make you "perform" better guys) and laws in poverty-stricken or naive cultures.

Shark fins drying on a roof top in Hong Kong:

Yup, the darker side of human nature. A total lack of respect for the other creatures we share this planet with!

Last edited by Reefer Rob; 12-19-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:37 PM

somafish is on a distinguished road

"I would say yes we do have a positive effect captive reef keeping. The biggest threat the the reef in the wild is not global warming, but the people who live near the reef."

I don't believe this statement. global warming has destroyed more reef in 5 years then the damage done by the aquarium business the past 40, this year alone with warm waters and acidification entire systems have been lost.
At this point we are starting to become conservationists because if our carbon emissions are not strongly curbed in 10 years we won't have reefs, our tanks will become zoos to what use to be wild. I think we have to make a push for more local(frag swaps)l,sustainable(proper catching techniques) and maybe passing up on suppliers that are only out for the easy buck, but more then that we have to be more involved in how we control our carbon footprint.
All my coral in my tank was bought from someone who fragged it from their tank, all my fish bought in the last 2 years minus a purple tang,and a damsel are from breeders.My tank can't hold a candle to some sps Systems
On here but it is possible to enjoy this hobby with out taking from the ocean.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:52 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

I love sharkfin soup! And steak and porkchops and all sorts of poultry. You guys eat that stuff or is it another environmental impact...do yourself a favour and if you want to make a difference, please get out of the hobby and become a vegan. Other wise, respect other cultures and don't condemn something that you don't understand.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 12-19-2015, 06:58 PM

I'd be curios about what reading they're getting for temperature and PH when they claim that's what killed a reef.

I find corals to be very adaptable to temperature, and I've kept a healthy reef at a PH that never went above 7.9.

Likely it was so form of pollution that killed the reef, and global warming was used as a cover up.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bblinks View Post
Other wise, respect other cultures and don't condemn something that you don't understand.
I'll never understand a culture that cuts the fins off a shark, then throws the rest back. All while it's still alive, what a way to die!

BTW, I'm against whaling as well. No compassion for chickens though, sorry.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:07 PM
Colony Growing Master

Rice Reef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'll never understand a culture that cuts the fins off a shark, then throws the rest back. All while it's still alive, what a way to die!

Maybe you understand this better...

http://sharkangels.org/issues-facing...uses-for-shark
ATI 48" 3x75W LED with 8x54W T5, 2xTunze 6105, 2 x Maxspect Gyre XF150, Bubble King Mini 200 ( soon to be replaced by a Bubble King SM 200), Eheim 1262, Via Aqua 300 watt Titanium heater, JBJ ATO, Apex Controller
Old 12-19-2015, 07:09 PM
Colony Growing Master

Rice Reef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
When I see things like this, I think our efforts and money need to be spent focusing on awareness (shark fins aren't going to make you "perform" better guys) and laws in poverty-stricken or naive cultures.

Shark fins drying on a roof top in Hong Kong:

Same building:
How ignorant can we get?
ATI 48" 3x75W LED with 8x54W T5, 2xTunze 6105, 2 x Maxspect Gyre XF150, Bubble King Mini 200 ( soon to be replaced by a Bubble King SM 200), Eheim 1262, Via Aqua 300 watt Titanium heater, JBJ ATO, Apex Controller
Old 12-19-2015, 07:15 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Quote:

No no, not always,they use it for other stuff too. Do some research and maybe you will find something interesting.

I got no compassion for chicken either so don't apologize, we are on the same page......I think.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 12-19-2015, 07:22 PM

somafish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'd be curios about what reading they're getting for temperature and PH when they claim that's what killed a reef.

I find corals to be very adaptable to temperature, and I've kept a healthy reef at a PH that never went above 7.9.

Likely it was so form of pollution that killed the reef, and global warming was used as a cover up.
http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/co2/story/W...idification%3F
Just for basic info
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/201...g-catastrophe/
And this one for extra measure, I could find 1000 More articles but this one had colorful pictures for you.
The reality is our tank is a closed system and is almost nothing like how the ocean works, try this go start your car and put a air pump near by with air line tube to your tank see how long your tank keeps going. That is a drastic representation, but we have been pumping co2 into our oceans in large amounts for 80 years and moderate amount the 140 years before that not to mention other greenhouse gasses