Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-14-2015, 12:56 AM

reef-junkie is on a distinguished road
Default New tank

I'm setting up a new saltwater tank. I'm going to be purchasing an ro unit in a few weeks. My question is would it hurt my tank a whole lot to use tap water (dechlorinated) for the initial fill up, then ro water from then on?
Old 01-14-2015, 01:50 AM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Some will say it's ok, some will say never! Obviously you understand that it's not ideal. Personally I never would.. but I've never had an emergency where I needed X amount of salt water in a jiffy. If you can wait a few more weeks, I'd just wait. In the end, it's up to you.

Welcome to Canreef.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:01 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

If it were me I'd find out what my tapwater TDS is, and what that TDS contains. You should be able to find a water report online for your area.
Could be lots of unwanted stuff in it such as silicates, aluminum, phosphates, copper etc.
Where I live my tapwater TDS is anywhere from 6 to 12, so I wouldn't worry too much (although I'd never do it). But if your TDS is in the 100s I wouldn't do it.

Last edited by gregzz4; 01-14-2015 at 02:14 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:03 AM

reef-junkie is on a distinguished road

I think I'll probably just wait. I know if I use it I'll will probably end up regretting it in the end. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:03 AM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

I would simply use tap water to water test it. After the system is good and water tight, I would hold out until RO water was available to make it salty.

As they say....patience is key to this hobby.

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 01-14-2015, 02:05 AM

duncangweller is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't use tap water either. Just hold on, as hard as that can be, because you're going to have to do a whole lot of waiting anyway to have any success in this hobby
Old 01-14-2015, 04:48 AM

Skimmin is on a distinguished road

This is my own personal experience. I have had numerous saltwater tanks over the last 10 years. Everyone of them ran on dechlorinated tap water (from the rural Edmonton area). Never had a single issue. I filled my newest system with dechlorinated tap water (I live in Banff now so not Edmonton water) but have now started using ro water for all water changes, top off etc... and will continue to do so. If your water is good quality drinking water then I wouldnt worry about it. But thats just me. Im still not sure why Im using an ro unit but it was a good deal (Thanks to Concept for the SMOKIN deal on the Vertex ro/di). The main reason I used tap water in my new system is that it is about 400gallons. My ro/di is a 100gpd unit and would have been a big pita to fill it, and then add sand and rock. Also just wanted to mention that Banff has very hard but very clean water. The water treatment 'plant' here is about the size of a large garden shed or a small single car garage. Tds here is 384 at 6C today. I just tested it. So just tds is not an accurate way to judge whether the water is suitable or not. If your system is a smaller set up and you are planning on using ro/di anyways then fill it with ro/di. Again this is my own experience so Im not looking for someone to tell me how wrong I am. Just giving my two cents.

Last edited by Skimmin; 01-14-2015 at 04:52 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:55 AM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

I think it all depends on what you plan on having for a display. SPS tank? FOWLR? Mixed reef?

I think all of us have used tapwater at some point. Yes. It works. Would I do a full blown reef or SPS tank with tapwater? Not a chance. I always found nuissance algae's to be an issue with tap water.

They call it addiction for a reason...