Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > New to the Hobby

Old 03-24-2005, 09:10 AM

fei_chu is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to fei_chu
Default Here we go again! must read!!! :)

Just to give everybody a little background about me. I am not new to the saltwater reef set up but this is the first one i am setting up in a long time! I started my first salt tank which was a F/O tank. Then i moved up the scale to live rock, then live sand, then protein skimming then MH lighting then SPS then clams then SPS. I consider myself brand new to the game so any help would be great. But here is the low down.

When i finally got the hang of keeping the tank, i got offered to tour with a group called Ache brasil.(we got nominated in the juno awards for best live performance) I then sold all my livestock and kept all the old equipment knowing that i will one day eventually get back into the hobby. After 7 years of touring our beautiful world i actually am starting to settle down in Beautiful British Columbia.(believe me. i have traveled the world and back and i think this is THE best place to live) I took up my new career in Realestate which has taken off for me really well. (if anyone is looking to sell or buy...hehehe) but this is not a commercial. ANYWAY. I actually have the money now to spend so this is my setup:

*46Gal Bowfront Tank
*Matching Maple Stand
*CPR Bakpak2 with RIO pump
*2x175 watt MH with 2x30 watt actinics in an enclosed canopy hanging from the ceiling complete with fans! Got this deal from Kind Ed pet center!
*I am still curing my 55 pounds of vanatu rock from JL Aquatics(been about one week and man does it smell like...well you know what) I got this one peice that is around 30 pounds and it looks amazing. Thanks to the guy @ JL for that help by the way!
*I also have 30 pounds of base rock from my old tank that i kept.
*Using a powersweep, and two rio pumps for circulation
*and 150 watt ebojager heater.
*I use the tap water filter to do clean my water.
*Ive got a digital Ph monitor and salinity monitor to do the nasty stuff.

I mentioned i am currently waiting for my live rock to cycle. probably around 1-2 more weeks. I bought some aragalive sand 20lbs and some 30lbs of caribsea aragonite. I also have 30lbs of sand from my old tank too that i will add in there after i wash it. (i wish i could post pics)

I am really excited about doing this but i know most of it is patience and that is one thing i have now that i didnt have when i first started. I am also going to get my quaratine tank and going to make my setup more complicated as soon as i sell some more houses.(just joking) eheheheh

O by the way, if you are wondering why my name seems familiar to you, you might have read about my brother being in the tsunami in the province newspaper. YES he is ALIVE and well and since he is back in Vancouver. He survived it despite being in the middle of the ocean on a boat and the horrid story i had when i thought he was dead is long so if anyone wants to hear it let me know.(ill post it some other time) He is also the world champion MMA (ultimate fighting champion) in his weight class. You may have also seen my billboards and advertising if you live in the Vancouver area(realestate) or you might have seen either of us on Much Music or MTV canada.(ache brasil/gibson pankration)

well Thanks for everyones time to help out if you have any suggestions please feel free to leave comments if i have forgotten anything.( i am sure i have)
Old 03-24-2005, 03:12 PM

Chin_Lee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Chin_Lee
Default Welcome

Fei Chu
Welcome back into the hobby. There are lots of good people on this board. Glad to hear about your brother. What area in Vancouver do you live?
Old 03-24-2005, 04:00 PM

shadowboy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to shadowboy Send a message via MSN to shadowboy Send a message via Yahoo to shadowboy

I remeber you guys you came and did a performance at our school! It's amazing who you meet through here. Glad to hear that your brothers ok, we hads a friend there too when the tsunami hit.

have fun cycling the tank, the best is yet to come.
tristan

Livestock: powderblue tang,scopas tang,sailfin tang, blue tang, longnose hawkfish, coral beauty,2 clown fish,royal gramma,checkerboard wrasse, sixline wrasse.

soon to running 55 gallon refugium.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:43 PM

fei_chu is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to fei_chu

I live in the Mount Pleasant area. But i am all over Vancouver everyday with my work! Mostly downtown!