Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Edmonton

Old 04-21-2004, 02:43 PM

Nemain is on a distinguished road
Default Web Site?

Is there any interest in making an Edmonton Reefers web site? I have limited HTML, swish, java .. but I can put one up if the interest is there.

I just think a Web page is a great way to let other people in the Edmonton area know there are other reef geeks out there =)

Discuss =)

Beth
Old 04-21-2004, 03:30 PM

mr_alberta is on a distinguished road

Hey that would be cool. I know limited HTML, java, javascript, etc too. I would gladly volunteer my time to help out.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:44 PM

Beverly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Web Site?

Sounds like a good idea

What kind of content do we want at the site?

I'm thinking perhaps:

- a page for each participating member with details and pics of their tanks as well as email links to members and links to members' websites
- a page for reefers who have frags available, which might be a PITA because it would have to be updated regularly

I don't think we should limit it to just Edmonton and immediate area reefers, but to possibly include folks farther afield who don't have a local club and would like to participate with us.

How does that sound? Anything else we need?

Beverly's 10g Nano YouTube Channel
Old 04-21-2004, 04:07 PM

I definately wouldnt close the web site to *just* edmonton reefers =) Good idea Bev =)

In time a faq would be neet, its just a matter of finding info on the web and getting permission to post it. Most people are glad to share knowledge.

There could certainly be a FOR SALE section, we just need to figure out the best way to do that, I can ask my best friend shes a guru =)

Other related points: What to call *us* do we need a logo... anything else?

Beth
Old 04-21-2004, 04:30 PM

jgoldsney is on a distinguished road

I think that for frag swapping etc the best thing would be to point to the edmonton section of Canreef as it is easy for anyone to update info
Old 04-21-2004, 05:01 PM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

I can handle the graphical end if you like, used to be a graphic editor. However I think if we do set up a site, we should link the forum back to here. It will increase Canreef's user base, and I'm far too lazy to visit any more forums.

Someday I'm going to get around to getting those T-shirts set up for the Calgary group.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 04-21-2004, 05:42 PM

I certainly dont think we need our own forum, but yes, a link to the canreef forum is certainly a good idea =)

As for creation, its spring break up here, so I am BORED silly. I cuold throw somethign together and then you coudl all critique it and change it, if that works. Course I am all for someone else doing too, what ever you guys would like =)

Beth
Old 04-21-2004, 06:19 PM

I see you said something about Swish... please, let's not use Flash. Pet peeve of mine.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 04-21-2004, 07:43 PM

Flash is a pet peeve? WOWSERS! Straight HTML then I suppose?

Anyone else have anything they hate?

Beth
Old 04-21-2004, 07:51 PM

Design is about solving problems, and in my opinion, Flash is a poor solution is many cases where it is used. HTML and associated languages along with good old fashioned GIFs and JPEGs are a more intelligent medium in this case, I feel.