Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Pictures

Old 02-04-2009, 12:08 AM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

haha...not much for riddles but I'll play for a moment...turned off the lights? Overdosed on Mag?

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:09 AM

michika is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAS View Post
Ok,

Now im in trouble.... I have just located 3 Gigas! Ultra blue. One is supposed to be over a foot! Im totally stressed out. Im trying to get them in.

Here is the trouble! I have Absolutly no space for anything else in my current clam tank. What am I to DO?
Easy....send them to me!
Old 02-04-2009, 04:19 PM

NAS is on a distinguished road

LOL!

Ok, great Idea.

Do you want them steamed or stir fried?

I recomend steamed with butter and garlic.

Seriously though, if you are after one for real private message me and I will get you a ball park landed price. I will get on for you, cause I know they are hard to come lately. Atleast where I am the are. Not knowing where you are I am making an assumption.

Scott.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:20 PM

Seepman.....

Gong....

Nope. Any other takers? What would I have done that would get rid of the cyanobacter in two days?

(Hint: NO MEDICATION...that's a dead give away!)
Old 02-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAS View Post
Ok,

I have cyano bacteria in my tank. I have done this on purpose. TRUE!

It has been three days since I cleaned my tank and I have cyano bacter. that was on saturday!.

Now it's ALL GONE!

Any gueses what I did out there? yes it's a trick question that will lead to a greater question... Lets play anyways...

What did I do to my tank to make the Cyanobacteria disappear in two days?
Well I dunno what you did to your tank however I had the same problem setting up my new 50g although I think it was a new set up and going through a cyano stage anyhow when I researched how to get rid of it my search results led me to believe that sugar can deal with it. I was feeding my corals heavy once a week as I have lots of softies and lps and fishless anyhow long story short something was fueling the cyano.... perhaps the left over food that didn't get eaten, dosing sugar robbed the fuel for the cyano in 3 days from all the rocks substrate being covered with red slime, it dissapeared never to appear again and I still feed the same once a week....

Another quick few ways is coral snow and ofcourse red slime remover or any other antibiotic which usually does the same thing if you have found another way to make it dissapear fast please let me know.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 02-04-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang daddy View Post
Well I dunno what you did to your tank however I had the same problem setting up my new 50g although I think it was a new set up and going through a cyano stage anyhow when I researched how to get rid of it my search results led me to believe that sugar can deal with it. I was feeding my corals heavy once a week as I have lots of softies and lps and fishless anyhow long story short something was fueling the cyano.... perhaps the left over food that didn't get eaten, dosing sugar robbed the fuel for the cyano in 3 days from all the rocks substrate being covered with red slime, it dissapeared never to appear again and I still feed the same once a week....

Another quick few ways is coral snow and ofcourse red slime remover or any other antibiotic which usually does the same thing if you have found another way to make it dissapear fast please let me know.
Great Segway tang daddy,

The fun is over. The tank had run for quite some time (over a year now). The last 4 months i neglected my filtermeida! This I new, and did on purpose to see what the effect would be. Elavated organics. So, I did a large charge of Activated carbon charge in the filtration system. Bang, gone.
This brings me to tang daddy's segway...

One thing first. I have used EM in the past at a quarter dose and it has been very effective, but did lead to substantial skimmer production.

As with tang daddy I too looked at the application of Small chain carbon compounds Ie, Ethanol, Sugar ect... I believe that both the appilcations have the same effect. Activated cabon removes doc's where as the Surgar dose creates Comepetive exclusion with some other critters that use the carbon faster and or more efficantly then the cyano bacter.

Here is my key question...

Both applications work, and granted both have the right situation for it's use. But, Does one or the other have a better effect on the biology in the tank then the other. So, Tang Daddy... How is the color/growth/clarity of your tank with respects to your sps/softies?

Few; that was almost painful.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:21 AM
Likes to play with Fish

Nas I noticed that my lps are definately loving it without the cyano.... I have not dosed sugar since the cyano has dissapeared and colours on all the corals are super bright, purple coraline starting to take over all the rock and corals are growing fast. I had to remove the sps as they were happy but not getting enough light plus with the high nutrients they were over saturating the zoos and getting a darker shade of brown,also I have 5 turbos and they were knocking sps down left right and center.... a week after moving them into my 120g colours came back. As for critters there are lots and they are all thriving in the skimmerless set up.

Tank specs 50g breeder AIO/skimmerless:

I do 1 5g wc per week.
change out 2 socks of carbon once a month.
feed all lps, softies live baby brine 3 times a week and gut packed mysis and tiger prawn once a week.
I dose mg 2 times a week into ato.
when I mix new salt water cacl is added into the mix.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 02-05-2009, 08:37 AM

TheRealBigAL is on a distinguished road
Default Sugar question

how much sugar do you dose ? Can sugar have any negative side effects ?

THanks
Old 02-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Likes to play with Fish

^my tank had tons of cyano on the ground and rock even smothering a few corals. For my 50g I used 2 table spoons of white sugar then did a 50% wc 3 days later. day 1 full of cyano day 2 half gone day 3 all gone.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:55 PM

Got a new top secrete project/ Experiement under way... WOOOHHOOOO!
(stay tuned)

My clams are drainin my tank of nitrates now in 2 days. I actually added water (80ppm nitrates) to my tank and brought up the level to 10ppm. Sunday. Tested wed mornin and back down to 0. So, Im thinking of adding nitrates more regularly. Im torn up between re-cyclin water from preditor tank or doping with Sodium Nitrate. I have calculated the exact ammount to get to 10 ppm in my tank by mass. and it will be easy to tweek the levels once they get rollin.

Any input?