Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-05-2014, 11:49 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
I just use Foz Down... Phosphates gone immediately. No muss no fuss.

Cheers,
Tim
My LFS has used this over the last couple weeks, PO4 pretty much 0ppm
Old 05-06-2014, 02:45 AM

hfp75 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
I just use Foz Down... Phosphates gone immediately. No muss no fuss.

Foz Down is lanthanum chloride and a buffer. It binds to P04 and then it settles in your tank, on your sand and on your rocks. If you want to use this stuff then you need to VERY slowly dose it into a really fine filter sock in hopes that your sock will grab it once it has bound to the P04 but not to fast or the unbound lanthanum chloride leaves the sock, binds in the system & settles. If you just dose it and don't remove the waist (the bound P04 + lanthanum chloride) via a filter sock, the P04 is not out of your system. When it eventually unbinds from the lanthanum chloride it is back in your system. It also has some bad side effects if you accidentally dose to much...

If you want to cook some rock with it go for it. Once it has cooked you need to really wash off the rocks before they go into your system.

RowaPhos removes phosphates (P04)........... it is very simple people. I have tried the economy HC-GFO and it didnt work at all..... I was using a Hanna P04 tester and tested the in and the out of the reactor... I use Rowa and that is it!!! My P04 is 0.09 cause I want it between 0.05 and 0.1

Last edited by hfp75; 05-06-2014 at 02:55 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:51 AM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbudz604 View Post
Hey can I run seachem phosguard in a tlf 150 reactor? It's powered by a mAxi jet 400 and is set to very low flow. Anyone done this? Anyone use phosguard in a reactor? I've Tryed to google it and get tons of mixed results.
I do use it the tlf reactor with small maxijet. My LPS do not show any bad signs i have green open brain, red gonioproah and a torch.
Have been using it in moderation for a long time.
Throw it away when it turns yellow.
http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...PhosGuard.html
Old 05-07-2014, 05:28 PM

canadianbudz604 is on a distinguished road
Default Phish yard

I'm using it in the reactor with very slow flow, and it doesn't seem to bug anything but my Kenya trees, which is awesome! Only use 1/4 of a cup in the reactor and it seems to be perfectly fine. Phosphates Aren't showing up at all on the test. For me I'm on the island working so my 12 ur old son is taking care of the tank and I change out all the medias every 2 weeks when I'm home. at $8.99 for a big bottle of phosguard it does what I need it to do and cheap.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:25 PM

AquaticExpressions is on a distinguished road

The reason that Phosguard recommends it to potentially removed within 3 days because of how fast the product works in efficiently removing phosphates. Once the phophates have been removed then you add new phosguard to ensure phosphates don't climb. Phosguard is a spherical Aluminum Oxide. Aluminum oxide is an insoluble form or aluminum. At the pH most hobbyist keep reef tanks, release of aluminum is not an iue for corals. Aluminum oxide is not easily absorbed into the cell to cause negative reactions. Even at three times the dose of PhosGuard, oft bodied corals such as Sarcophyton, do very well with more than the recommended dosage of PhosGuard.

The removal of phosphate isn't low or gradual when using PhosGuard, so the quick change can show negative impact that is temporary also it is not rechargeable.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:15 AM

Drazil is on a distinguished road

Foz down is where it's at!! Nuff said.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:46 AM

canadianbudz604 is on a distinguished road
Default Foz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drazil View Post
Thanks man, I'm glad you answered my questions about using phosguard.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:59 AM

hfp75 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drazil View Post

Yes if you are cooking rocks..... or something else in a purpose driven short term tank....

NOT in your main tank.....
Old 05-09-2014, 04:55 PM

Bean is on a distinguished road

I have used it, was running it in my system non stop with no ill effects on anything, in fact I'm going to start again. I only changed it out once a month. I liked it cause it was affordable and easy to used since it's in bead form. That's my experience with it.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:42 PM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean View Post
I have used it, was running it in my system non stop with no ill effects on anything, in fact I'm going to start again. I only changed it out once a month. I liked it cause it was affordable and easy to used since it's in bead form. That's my experience with it.
+1 same here i am still using it atm