Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-20-2014, 05:03 AM

jason604 is on a distinguished road
Default Pink goniopora issues

So I got this beautiful pink with blue mouth goniopora and it was fully open everyday for a few months till I moved it about 2 inches to help shield it more from flow because I changed my ****ty hydors to WP25s and a few Days after it never opened again. Been closed for about 2 months now. Is it because there's too much flow? But it's kinda shielded by rocks on both sides. I don't have an other places to put it other than sand bed but I heard just a big of sand in its mouths will kill it? Any1 got any tips?

Old 07-20-2014, 06:55 AM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road

Man goni's are a pain sometimes they just finicky, I've seemed to have success (so far) with feeding mine some reef roids and coral frenzy just turn off the pumps and blow some in there and then after 15 min or so put some in the pump to feed the tank.

If its been closed for a month id try moving it man maybe its the spot too, I've seen them on the sand before as long as there not covered should be good worth a try it doesn't look happy there so

just my 2 cents
Old 07-20-2014, 07:15 AM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road

I think you may need to do some water analzying. That big sps you had just bit it and now your flower pot. I would think maybe there is something going on in your tank? If my corals show me signs of being unhappy the first thing i do is a water change. I dont think flow is the issue really. I used to have mine right in front of a powerhead ans it was always fully open and blasting around. Good luck hopefully you find your problem
Old 07-20-2014, 08:02 AM

Yea come to thjnk of it mine is right infront of the vortex
Old 07-20-2014, 08:52 AM

Yea man, you had the star fish the blue colony then this. Id take a step back and try and figure out whats going on

Get a full parameters measured and get some water for a decent water change like 20% and go from there.

Have you changed anything? started dosing anything? stopped doing something?
Try and think what changed
Old 07-20-2014, 08:54 AM

I remember you saying your temp spiked up to 85 or something has that got all fixed cause if your temp is outa wack or swinging that can cause all these issues
Old 07-20-2014, 05:36 PM

AquaPin is on a distinguished road

While I am in agreement there may be a water issue, I would also recommend moving the piece to another location to see if it makes a difference. Mine (same colour) has always opened up in every location, however it opened up more in some spots than others.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:56 PM

Ryanerickson is on a distinguished road

My vote is high phosphates do you have a accurate test kit Jason?
Old 07-20-2014, 07:57 PM

jason604 is on a distinguished road

No I do not have a phosphate kit. I do believe I have high phosphate because I have green hair algae everywhere. I have the API phosphate remover bag running passive on my sump with a carbon bag. I guess I should go buy a salifert phosphate tester. My params r alk 7, cal 310, mag 1100 ish. I'm using salifert mag but I can't seem to get cal n mag up to a proper level. My big sps colony got messed up cuz my doser died but after I chopped it up and fixed doser there hasn't been anymore RTN. Water temp is now a stable 79. I tossed the starfish out because a hammer n a frogspawn just closed up. I will do a water change soon. But I can't explain my goniopora closing... Been closed for 1-2 months and my tank was thriving then. I do feed my tank reefroids mixed with phyto 2x a week.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:00 AM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you just explained it. Calcium is quite low, mag is low, and high phosphates. All of that combined is sure to do a number on your tank. Id do a big water change asap