Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-12-2013, 06:14 PM
Han Solo

Ram3500 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Need a new skimmer

So I am thinking of a new skimmer to help keep my nitrates in check and cut down on noise . I have about 180 g total system . I have a naso tang, powder blue , yellow tang , coral beauty , flame hawk, Mandarin , five green Chromis two small clowns and a cleaner wrasse . I am not sure if that is medium or heave bio load. I have a limited budget and tight 24" of hight and a foot print of 13"x13" . My main goal is to keep sps in my tank from this point on after a recent tank crash . I have a few skimmers in mind , I am thinking about the Vertex Omega 150 the CAD Lights 220 Gallon TIA-1220 or the Bubble Magus Curve9 Cone Skimmer. Any one out there with feed back on these skimmers would be cool. Also is there any other skimmers I should be considering? I want to keep it under four bills if possible . I also started running bio pellets in the cad light bio reactor about two week ago. I am impressed with the quality of the reactor so I am leaning towards the cad light skimmer.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:31 PM

lpsreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram3500 View Post
So I am thinking of a new skimmer to help keep my nitrates in check and cut down on noise . I have about 180 g total system . I have a naso tang, powder blue , yellow tang , coral beauty , flame hawk, Mandarin , five green Chromis two small clowns and a cleaner wrasse . I am not sure if that is medium or heave bio load. I have a limited budget and tight 24" of hight and a foot print of 13"x13" . My main goal is to keep sps in my tank from this point on after a recent tank crash . I have a few skimmers in mind , I am thinking about the Vertex Omega 150 the CAD Lights 220 Gallon TIA-1220 or the Bubble Magus Curve9 Cone Skimmer. Any one out there with feed back on these skimmers would be cool. Also is there any other skimmers I should be considering? I want to keep it under four bills if possible . I also started running bio pellets in the cad light bio reactor about two week ago. I am impressed with the quality of the reactor so I am leaning towards the cad light skimmer.
another good skimmer that i know that isnt to costly is the csc-150.
from what i have seen lately the curve9 cone skimmer work wonders.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:30 PM

Magickiwi is on a distinguished road

Thought of trying Tunze?
Old 09-12-2013, 10:44 PM

subnet88 is on a distinguished road

+1 the CSC-150
Old 09-12-2013, 11:13 PM

blennie is on a distinguished road

lots of buzz about the aquamaxx skimmers on reef central

http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/AquaMaxx/
Old 09-13-2013, 01:43 AM

BowedFloor is on a distinguished road

I have a Super Reef Octopus 3000 internal. It's got the water blaster pump on it, not the newer diablo DC motor.

It's completely silent. I don't hear air sucking in, I don't hear water moving around, it skims really really well, and pulls tons of junk out of the water.

I've only owned SRO skimmers, so I can't comment on others... but I really like mine.

I know SRO is spendy, but imo this was worth it.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:12 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Vertex omega and Csc are pretty much on par with pricing, size and use of the same pumps, sicce.

Although the omega looks like a baby bk it says it has a rating of 150g, the Csc on the other hand says 200g

The curve 9 I am not a huge fan of and don't think it will fit your space as its 23" tall.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 09-13-2013, 04:19 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowedFloor View Post
I have a Super Reef Octopus 3000 internal. It's got the water blaster pump on it, not the newer diablo DC motor.

It's completely silent. I don't hear air sucking in, I don't hear water moving around, it skims really really well, and pulls tons of junk out of the water.

I've only owned SRO skimmers, so I can't comment on others... but I really like mine.

I know SRO is spendy, but imo this was worth it.
I have two Diablo Octopi 300 with the DC motor and I love them except for when I have to clean out the collection cups; then I'm cursing their efficient design because the skimmate is just disgusting coming out. They're silent as can be, easy to tune in, and do a great job at skimming.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:44 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

2.5 days after cleaning:

Old 09-13-2013, 07:31 PM

BowedFloor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by michika View Post
I have two Diablo Octopi 300 with the DC motor and I love them except for when I have to clean out the collection cups; then I'm cursing their efficient design because the skimmate is just disgusting coming out. They're silent as can be, easy to tune in, and do a great job at skimming.
WOW that is a lot of skimmate. especially after 2.5 days.