Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-25-2005, 01:24 AM

TANGOMAN is on a distinguished road
Default Minimum salinity for Shrimp

How low would you go with salinity in a quarantine/holding tank that housed Cleaner Shrimp ?
I'm currently at 1.019 and I'd like to go much lower...(hypo.)
At what point should I transfer the inverts?
Old 01-25-2005, 02:02 AM

marie is on a distinguished road

I would think your too low already. Be very, very slow at bringing them back to normal salinity
Old 01-25-2005, 03:16 AM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

Get them back up to normal, and transfer them. I once bought a cleaner and tried to introduce it into a tank at 1.016. It was dead before it hit the bottom.

---------Homer Simpson--------
Old 01-25-2005, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_I
Get it back up to normal, and transfer them. I once bought a cleaner and tried to introduce it into a tank at 1.016. It was dead before it hit the bottom.

Old 01-25-2005, 04:38 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I wouldn't have guessed there's any benefit from hyposalinity for shrimp.

Bob's correct, be very very gentle adjusting their salinity. A two point difference in SG (i.e. 1.023 to 1.025, or 1.022 to 1.024 is enough to kill them instantly if they are not acclimated slowwwwwwwwwly). I wish I didn't know that from experience..
Old 01-26-2005, 02:05 AM

I guess I didn't explain why I'm determining the lowest point, (or hyposlinity), for a shrimp. It's a parasitic concern, and no, not the shrimp... . I have new fish in a holding tank. Quarantine, isolation, call it what you will...
The "new specimens" have been in quarantine for just over ten days now and the scratching behaviour is beginning to show with two of the fish. The fish and shrimp were in retail systems also @ 1.019, or very close to that. My system matched on introduction and over a five day period, the level was increased to 1.024. Then the scratching began. Over the next 4 days, the level was again reduced to 1.019.
My q-tank is rather "un-conventional". It's an established system with an array of inverts, live rock etc...I prefer this approach to the "sterile system". I feel fish are more relaxed and inclined to begin feeding in a "natural environment". Some kinda' fish psychology...? I dunno' it has worked well for me.
The diet is well balanced and vitamin/garlic enriched. I'm not hitting the panic button yet, I just want to keep a handle on this before it becomes serious. I have a lot of fish in quarantine at one time. I nomally don't go on "spending spree's" like this but I need to make multiple additions to my 90g in an attempt to distract a beligerant Purple Tang...
Perhaps I'll just leave 'er at 1.019 and patiently wait...
As always, I appreciate the input !
Old 01-26-2005, 02:20 AM

rusty is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to rusty

I am pretty new to the salt hobby and I have a question are cleaner shrimp that sensitive and what is the proper way to aclamate them to your tank? I need to know because I ordered one and I will be getting it soon
Old 01-26-2005, 02:50 AM

Russ, as Tony mentioned, Cleaner shrimp are extremely sensitive to changes in not only salinity, but pH, temp, etc. I'm sure this sensitivity is equal to not only other shrimp varieties, but all inverts. as well, given that water flows freely through their exoskeleton.
The most common method of transition is referred to as the "drip metthod". Float the closed bag long enough to ensure temp. equalization first and then open the bag and place in a container with room for overflow. You can also empty the specimen and the water into a container. Use a piece of airline and rely on siphon action to draw water into the bag. Use a clamp of some sort to reduce the water flow to a drip. Much like an interveneous drip used in hospitals. I like to do this over a period of at least one hour. The longer the better ![/u]
Old 01-26-2005, 02:54 AM

Those of us who have seen Cleaner Shrimp kick off for no discernible reason know just how sensitive they are.

Old 01-26-2005, 10:38 PM

rusty is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to rusty

I have a peppermint shrimp i put him in slowly to are they as sensitive he has not croaked yet