Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 09-29-2009, 05:42 AM

burrows14 is on a distinguished road
Default Puffer diet

hey folks!
just bought myself a small 3" porc puffer this weekend and HES SOOOO COOL!!!

I did some research on them before i got him and have been searching CR for more info on a ideal diet for him. ive noticed that lots of people claim to have the best diet for their puffers and im hoping that thet would be willing to share. Right now he is getting frozen krill soaked in selcon+garlicX. I wanna feed him some shellfish but when i go to the store i see frozen stuff with a bunch of other junk added to it. if anyone could help me it would be much appreciated!

cheers
Ray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (42.8 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (29.6 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (36.5 KB, 51 views)
Old 09-29-2009, 07:46 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Ours is big enough to eat crabs so we occasionally go to the beach to collect small shore crabs. I keep the crabs in some clean sw & feed them to the puffer as a treat.

T&T Supermarket in Burnaby also sells frozen small crabs. I go to the Korean supermarkets to buy dried pink shrimp and use that as a daily food. The puffer also eats shrimp, prawns, scallops, etc. Poofie eats better than I do
Old 09-29-2009, 08:00 AM

haha i was gonna say! should i soak the scallops in a nice merlot for him there are 2 T&T markets out here in surrey ill have to go there and grab some of those crabs. i think ill have to wait a while before i give them to him because he is still very small. hes a very tame personable lil guy, he always likes to be as close to us as he can no matter where we are in the living room haha its also great that he gets along great with all of his other tankmates im very happy with my lil guy!
Old 10-01-2009, 05:41 AM

edikpok is on a distinguished road

Ray - Mine used to LOVE silversides. It was like dessert for him. Until one day I bought a few live clams from T&T and he died a few days later! Big F****ing mistake on my part- I had him for about 6 months and he was my favourite guy.

Later on, I've read that many clams have bacteria in them that kill the fish so you must freeze it to kill the bacteria and bluh bluh bluh....

I will stick to silversides....

Anthony - you cracked me up! "poofie eats better than I do" hehehhehe
Old 10-01-2009, 07:22 PM

I gave him a cut up silverside for breakfast today at first he didn't know what to do with it and the my clarki stole the other peice and fed my nem. Tonight I'm gonna hand feed him like I do with the krill to make sure he get all of it. It's pretty funny that last night he let me scratch his head and looked upset that I stopped. Everytime I'm near the tank he goes up to the water line expecting me to pet him lol how funny is that!
Old 10-01-2009, 09:45 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

My Puffer just past a coupe weeks ago. We were only feeding him Dried krill. Could that have been the cause?? I tried some cooked shrimp, had it here, he ate it, but not as well as the Krill. I dont know if I can get silversides here in my town?? are they common at the grocery store? Wife wants another puffer, so do I acctually. But want to make sure it wasnt my feedin that killed him???

Another thing, My puffer never came out unless I held food near him to coax him out. Then when feeding over, back behind the rocks he went. ANd how many times should they be fed??? Mostly, my fish only get fed in the evening. The Tangs munch algae but pellets in evening.

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 10-02-2009, 01:16 AM

edikpok is on a distinguished road

if you feed them shrimps, do not use the cooked ones - they have lost most of their nutrients/vitamins. Use the raw or uncooked ones - easy to tell - they are not red you can also use uncooked prawns. I usually chop mine into pieces before eeding it to my fish....
Old 10-02-2009, 01:42 AM

+1 on the uncooked shrimp. i bought flats of frozen krill and silversides from J&L and i add a drop of garlic and selcon. I have no idea where in your area to find them. I have freeze fried krill but have yet to use them
Old 10-02-2009, 01:43 AM

P.S sorry about the loss of your puffer how old was he?
Old 10-02-2009, 01:46 AM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

Where can I get freeze fried krill he he, your puffer is adorable