Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-01-2010, 02:37 AM

marie is on a distinguished road

The other thing to check is to make sure it's cyano and not dinoflagellates. If your corals are dying I would suspect dino's (aka brown snot algae)

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 09-01-2010, 02:39 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

I used to run a cannister when I first started as well. Who has'nt? If you do plan on running your tank with what you have than I recommend you do this. Take everything out of the cannister and just use live rock rubble instead. You can also put a bag of carbon in as well. Just like others have said, "it's just a nitrate trap."
Old 09-01-2010, 03:25 AM

outacontrol is on a distinguished road

+10 on getting rid of the fluval, when I started out I was running a fluval 404 and after about a year I started having big algae problems, ditched the filter added a few mexican turbo snails and things turned around completely.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:30 AM

Atomikk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerider View Post
Hey Everyone, just gonna get right into my problem, i have a insane cyno bacteria problem and ive tried everything, i do a 25% water change every week with good R/O water from LFS, ive added another koralia (could mabye add another) i only have 3 fish now, and i feed once a day, so i know its not a over feeding problem. ive started with chemiclean and it seemed to have worked, but3 days after the cleanup, another out break. ive read that old lights tend to cause to much red light so i changed every bulb in my light just last week. my corals are dieing, by Anemone died and i dont know why, water tests perfect for everything. I havent seen my cleaner shrimp in a couple days so as you can see im about to send my fish(which are doing prefectly fine) to my moms tank and trashing mine becuase i just cant seem to get ahead, the tank has been running for about 2 years now, have a fluval 304 which i clean out once a month, got a reef octo bh1000 skimmer and 2 koralia powerheads. if anyone has any advice that would be awsome, im thinking mabye just chucking out the rock and sand and starting from scratch.let me know
Travis
Thanks
Ditch the Koralia powerheads. They are known for their seal letting up and allowing water into the motor housing causing stray voltage to run through your tank. Best test is to find a cut on your hands, and while barefoot, touch the water. If you get zapped, you have stray voltage. If not, then you are ok.

The cyano issue is always very simple, there is too many nutrients in your water. The water from your LFS is probably high in total disolved solids (TDS). Get yourself a RO/DI unit. Trust me, it will give you sanity.

Vlad.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:52 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

WHAT??? what are you talking about???

where did you get that? I never heard of koralia pump causing stray voltage. I have 2 in my tanks so I want to read about that for sure.

I am sure there are better way to check for stray voltage than get zapped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomikk View Post
Ditch the Koralia powerheads. They are known for their seal letting up and allowing water into the motor housing causing stray voltage to run through your tank. Best test is to find a cut on your hands, and while barefoot, touch the water. If you get zapped, you have stray voltage. If not, then you are ok.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

thats cuz its an old, old issue from when these first came out.

one that was addressed by Hydor years ago.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:46 PM

Captainhemo is on a distinguished road

I've had 3 Koralia's in my tank for a couple years now with now issues
Old 09-01-2010, 10:28 PM

Cal_stir is on a distinguished road

consider a remote deep sand bed. a rubbermaid office garbage container or a salt bucket will do, fill with 8 inches of sugarfine reef sand, flow about 30 gph water across the top of the sand with the water about 2 in above the sand, keep it higher than your sump so you can gravity feed the water back to your sump, keep it covered and in the dark, it will take about 2 weeks for it to kick in, will reduce nitrates, i added one to my 90gal heavily stocked mixed reef and dropped my nitrates from 10 to 1, be patient and keep up the fight, ditch the sponges in the fluval. good luck
Old 09-01-2010, 10:40 PM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road

I am having the same problem in my system with cyano, although it hasn't killed anything, yet. I did turn off my lights for 60 hours straight, and this knocked the cyano down drastically, but not completely. The 60 hours without light had no ill effect on my corals or anemones.
I am planning on a 3 day complete black out shortly to completely get rid of the problem. This means you need to completely cover your tank with blankets to ensure no light gets in. There has been a few threads on www.reefcentral.com on this issue and this has been where I have done my research on how to fix this problem.
You would have had a problem that started the cyano and you could have fixed it, but once it has established, you need to do a 3 day blackout to get rid of it. I would get rid of any media in the canister filter, as this may be one of the reasons this problem started. I have also added extra flow, lowered feedings and changed out my bulbs. None of these affected the cyano at all, and it continues to get worse all the time.
I am planning on doing my 3 day blackout the weekend of September 10 to 13th. I can let you know how it goes if you want to see how mine turns out before you give it a try.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:49 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

I got rid of my cyano easily by vacumnng with everything off, I cut my lights back 2hs and added 2 koralia2's aimed at the worse areas no probs I left it like that and changed my water schedule to 5% every 3days and wala

I had to do a blackout when I had a bad algae bloom a few years ago same thing usd blankets because even ambiant light will help it I also used weiss algae remover gone in a few days not sure if it's safe to use with reefs though