Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 09-14-2012, 07:14 PM

JetJumper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Ditto
Ditto the Ditto! Never seen them that cheap.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:22 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

I'm currently watching a 100 watt multi-chip LED on eBay that's less than $30. Already have my DIY fixture built using 27 of the 10 watt multi-chips, but it's still a lot of wiring. If I could do 3 or 4 of these 100 watters, use optics & mount them higher..... it would be a pretty cost effective build with much less wiring. There's a thread on RC with multi chips where they are actually getting a manufacturer to custom design a multi-colour 100 watt chip for them. But I think that's going to be pricey at the start. Still be interesting to see where that goes.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:13 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
I'm currently watching a 100 watt multi-chip LED on eBay that's less than $30. Already have my DIY fixture built using 27 of the 10 watt multi-chips, but it's still a lot of wiring. If I could do 3 or 4 of these 100 watters, use optics & mount them higher..... it would be a pretty cost effective build with much less wiring. There's a thread on RC with multi chips where they are actually getting a manufacturer to custom design a multi-colour 100 watt chip for them. But I think that's going to be pricey at the start. Still be interesting to see where that goes.
Knowing how intense the 10w emitters are already, I can't imagine installing 100w emitters over my reef tank.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:46 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
Knowing how intense the 10w emitters are already, I can't imagine installing 100w emitters over my reef tank.

You don't have to run the 100 watters at full power and they are mounted quite high with optics compared to where I have my 10 watters without optics. With good quality optics & heatsink with fan, the 100 watt emitters mounted high are a good option if you like an open look above, with easy access to the tank. Manufacturers like Orphek & Kessil are leading the way with this form factor. Definitely an alternative to a multitude of 3 watt emitters mounted on large heatsinks without fans.