Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-11-2011, 05:47 AM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road
Default World's Smallest Marine Aquarium Build Thread

So, I kinda got bored tonight (actually, I'm procrastinating working on my PhD proposal...) and decided that not only could I build the world's smallest aquarium like this guy, I could one up him and build the world's smallest marine aquarium. I justify this in saying that I'm trying to get more practice on the the CNC mill, but really, I'm just doin' it because I can... and I'm curious...

So what the hell can you fit in the world's smallest marine tank? I'm thinking anything that you'd see in a shallow tide pool... like zoas! I figure I can try a small zoa frag in here on a little rock, a few 'pods and maybe even an itty bitty shrimp if I can find one. I'll give some water movement and aeration with an air pump and I'm going to try to make an LED "fixture" with 2 0.5W to 1W LEDS (1 White/1 Blue). I still have to figure out the heating bit.

This is a total crap shoot and I completely expect this to go to hell, but you never know unless you try, right?

So, here's me milling out my new pico-tank...

And here is the finished tank hot off the mill. I still have to file off the tabs and flame-polish the tank to get that nice optically clear finish but I'll do that tomorrow. It has a whopping tank volume of 2.25 tsp!