Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: What Kind of lighting do you use?
Metal Halides 23 25.84%
T5's 25 28.09%
Light Emitting Diodes (LED) 50 56.18%
Other 2 2.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2013, 07:25 PM

Magickiwi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
I've never run halides over an aquarium, and chose to go with T5s over my reef for control of intensity throughout the day ( 8 bulbs on 4 timed ballasts )
I've seen enough LED reefs up close to know I'm very happy with my T5s
I run halides over my reef along with T5's and I agree: I've seen enough LED reefs to know I'm happy with my Halides.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:18 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

I've got MH over one tank and LEDs over the other.

I've had ALWAYS used MH over my tanks up until I picked up the Mitra. I'm currently struggling to like my MH setup (no T5 supp.) purely due to the heat issues and the need for supplementation (it's just more cables, more cost, more bulb replacements, more more more).

On the other hand, I really like the Mitra. While the initial investment is higher typically, the controllable light spectrums, next to zero heat, compact size, etc have been worth it so far. I'm still trying to find the light spectrum that I want to run as the possibilities are endless. I can't however say much with regards to how coral looks under them in the long run. I have had so many issues with keeping SPS alive in my tank for unknown reasons. I can say that while the SPS I did have looked great in the short term under LEDs the pieces STN'd on me so can't say anything about long term.

I would really like to bring my Mitra to work and do a side by side comparison of my 15K MH next to a 15K Mitra and see which side of the tank looks/grows/colors better. (This is doable seeing as I have only a few measly looking zoa frags at home right now).

I have also considered recently about going full T5's on the MH tank. A few of my favorite tanks out there are T5 only tanks and they all grow/look great!

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988

Last edited by JDigital; 07-22-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:06 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post
I've got MH over one tank and LEDs over the other.

I've had ALWAYS used MH over my tanks up until I picked up the Mitra. I'm currently struggling to like my MH setup (no T5 supp.) purely due to the heat issues and the need for supplementation (it's just more cables, more cost, more bulb replacements, more more more).

On the other hand, I really like the Mitra. While the initial investment is higher typically, the controllable light spectrums, next to zero heat, compact size, etc have been worth it so far. I'm still trying to find the light spectrum that I want to run as the possibilities are endless. I can't however say much with regards to how coral looks under them in the long run. I have had so many issues with keeping SPS alive in my tank for unknown reasons. I can say that while the SPS I did have looked great in the short term under LEDs the pieces STN'd on me so can't say anything about long term.

I would really like to bring my Mitra to work and do a side by side comparison of my 15K MH next to a 15K Mitra and see which side of the tank looks/grows/colors better. (This is doable seeing as I have only a few measly looking zoa frags at home right now).

I have also considered recently about going full T5's on the MH tank. A few of my favorite tanks out there are T5 only tanks and they all grow/look great!
Personally, I would (and I do) recommend that any new setups just go straight to LEDs. Unless you're a die hard MH or T5 fan, LEDs should do you fine. I've seen lots of nice SPS and mixed reefs under various LEDs. I don't remember exactly, but with your office tank, didn't your boss already have MH fixtures for you to use?
Old 07-22-2013, 07:18 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Personally, I would (and I do) recommend that any new setups just go straight to LEDs. Unless you're a die hard MH or T5 fan, LEDs should do you fine. I've seen lots of nice SPS and mixed reefs under various LEDs. I don't remember exactly, but with your office tank, didn't your boss already have MH fixtures for you to use?

Yea, Fresh Water LEDs..

These ones to be exact. No where near capable of lighting a reef tank 30" deep. I'm actually using one of them as a Sump light. (not refuge, just sump illumination)

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...id=23688&r=518

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 07-25-2013, 10:11 PM
Gold Member

smokinreefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smokinreefer

people visually see colors different than one another, so every bodies opinions will be just that. an opinion of what they think looks best.

to say if finances weren't an issue, that everyone would want to run LEDs is simply funny to me. (to a point)

if finances weren't an issue, I would definitely use halides. having the money to not have to bat an eye on costs of bulb replacement, dealing with the extra heat, HRV/AC, extra electricity. i'm all for it!

having said that, if money were no issue, i'd probably run a ton of LEDs as supplements for my halides, maybe.

I use LEDs at my place right now, simply because my old house heats up so easily when the sun is out, I'm simply doing my best to keep the house more comfortable for my family. and not necessarily what I think looks nicest over my tank. albeit i'm not using high end fixtures.

when I recover from surgery, i'll be upgrading my 24G to a 65G and i'm leaning towards T5s. I haven't used them myself yet, but from what I've seen i'm ipressed. (except no shimmer!) so I might add a LED bar just to supplement. if I have the $$$

I still run halides at my Dads place, but I don't pay those bills!
Old 07-26-2013, 02:17 AM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road

I switched from a MH/PC combo to DIY LED's from modularled, and love it. The initial cost was a little high, but I'm going into my 2nd year and I love the fact that I haven't had to spend money to switch my lights out for a long time. Next year, I break even on the initial cost on the savings from not having to replace bulbs and energy savings.
Heat used to be an issue in the summer for me as well, but for the 2nd straight summer, it isn't. On top of that, my corals have been growing crazy, and my RBTA's bubbled up ever since I switched to LED's. As for color, I have dimmer's, so I can adjust however I want them to be, and could set up the system however I wanted it to be.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:36 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinreefer View Post

if finances weren't an issue, I would definitely use halides.
Absolutely!