Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 11-08-2012, 03:18 PM

jords is on a distinguished road
Default Tank to Sump Ratio

Going to be building my new tank from the ground-up (starting with nothing but glass). Just wondering if there is a special tank size to sump size ratio? Or just whatever fits? For instance, I'm planning a 120 gallon tank. So how big should my sump be? I'll be posting a tank journal as soon as I get started, so watch for that (tips for anything is more than welcome!).

To be honest, I've never had a sump before. However, I've only run nano tanks. So with a big tank like this (which will be set up for corals, fish, and live rock), what kind and size of sump will I want? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Honestly, the bigger the better, the only limit being space and how much you want to spend on gear and salt. No magic ratio at all. You want it to hold all your equipment and have room to take whatever water drains back in a power outage.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:20 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

as big as you can fit is the way to go , be sure you have enough room for your skimmer and a return chamber large enough that evaporation dont drive you nuts.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:21 PM
R.I.P.

or what brad said lol
Old 11-08-2012, 03:21 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I guess for a 120, assuming on some stand, you want the sump underneath, so I'd look for a 55 or 75g tank to use.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:22 PM
R.I.P.

standard height for sumps we make are 18" but that also depends on how much space/height you have.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:48 PM

Thanks guys! I was thinking about a 50g, but a LFS has a cheap 75g on sale right now. Was thinking about one of those and then just gluing in some plexiglass or acrylic and making my own, with the spaces that I'd require. I'm not too concerned with evap. at all, because I'll be hooking up an ATO system to the sump (evap. is so annoying!). I'll be sure to go with the 75g (which sounds crazy, because it's not that much smaller than a 120g tank), and that way I have extra room if I should upgrade or anything.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Just a guy..

When I set up a new sump, I try to find some scratched up tank, missng trim, etc, for as cheap as I can get it. My current tank has a 75g sump that I paid $40 for. I have a 90 here if you want to come pick it up, free
Old 11-08-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
When I set up a new sump, I try to find some scratched up tank, missng trim, etc, for as cheap as I can get it. My current tank has a 75g sump that I paid $40 for. I have a 90 here if you want to come pick it up, free
Damn, I was just in Victoria too! Hold it until April when I come by again? (from Kelowna, so I make my way out there quite often. But since there's nothing to do, find myself always taking the extra drive all the way to Vic).
Old 11-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jords View Post
Damn, I was just in Victoria too! Hold it until April when I come by again? (from Kelowna, so I make my way out there quite often. But since there's nothing to do, find myself always taking the extra drive all the way to Vic).
With the market for used stuff in Vic, it may still be here