Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-24-2009, 03:27 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

A GFO (phosphate remover) might be a good idea, but I see no need for a nitrate sponge. If I were you I would remove the regular sponge in the AC unless you are replacing it weekly as it will become a "nitrate factory" all in its own accord.

In the end though, keep it simple. You will be well rewarded. I kept a 33g LPS dominated tank quite successfully for 2 years with a very simple setup. Didn't even have a skimmer on it. You can find pics and details on here if you search for "Myka's 33g".

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 12-24-2009 at 03:32 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:42 PM

Reef_surfer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltynuts View Post
yes shorten the hose.
it has already been modified. i took about 2 inches off when i had it.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:41 PM

1337cr3w is on a distinguished road

the polyp has nwo shot out its green grass things and the anemone is eating all fish seem happy so far, ammonia is up a bit since i added the fish, up to .25 wondering if i should jsut let it work it self down or should i add an amonia remover of some sort? also , the lionfish will come within the next month i figure, will live in a qt for awhile, what kind of clean up crew can i use with a dwarf lion, i was thinking a sansifting starfish and a few snail, i read lions will sometimes not eat snails but usually eat all crabs.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:21 PM

Your tank is too small for a sand sifting starfish same with conchs. The sandsifting starfish are difficult to keep even in quite large aquariums. You can try larger snails like Astraea or Trochus for cleaning the rocks and glass. I think you're out of luck for a sand cleaner of any sort in a tank that small with a dwarf lion. You can always use a gravel cleaner to clean the top 1/2" of sand. Just use your thumb on the end of the siphon to pause it every once in awhile to let the sand fall back down.

For the ammonia, I woud suggest the use of Prime. If you haven't done a water change since adding the fish I would suggest you do a 25% change.

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:06 PM

ok, i will do a 25% water change and add prime when i do it, unfortunately theres nothing open until boxing day, think it'll be fine until then?

photo update: the damsel flew out of hiding when i turned the light on so i got some better pictures of it and everything else too

and picked up some supplies to finish off my stand,red oak boards and some slate tile.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:30 PM

Lookin good! I love slate on a stand!! Your fish are looking happier today, they were looking pretty stressed in the other photos. The ammonia will probably settle down by the time you can get Prime. It's good to have on hand anyway though. A small bottle goes a long way as it's only 1 mL for 10 gallons if I remember correctly. I'm in BC right now otherwise I'd offer you could come over and grab some Prime from me, I have GFO you could buy too (it's expensive otherwise I'd give it to you). Don't add anything live to your tank while there is ammonia, especially any inverts. The algae you have right now really isn't much of a concern. Time to let it chill for a bit.

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:37 PM

lmk about the GFO stuff when you're back. know what bayside is doin on boxing day?

finally got a decent picture of the anemone, when i shut the light off he starts to stand up like this??? but wiht light on he just flies to lay flat. this normal for it? its up on top of the middle arch rock i want to move it to a shaded spot i think.

in bottom pic he stand about 3 inches tall... wtf is this? and reef_surfer i can't find anything anywhere talking about a sand sifting anemone.

Last edited by 1337cr3w; 12-25-2009 at 12:41 AM.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:57 PM

Your anemone looks fine, they change as the lights go on and off. I wouldn't try to move it if I were you, it will move on it's own if it wants to. I've never heard anyone use "Sand sifting anemone" as a common name, but to me it looks like some type of Rock Anemone of which there are various species. Many are known to capture small fish (like Gobies) at times.

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:13 PM

went to bayside's boxing day sale and spent too much but came home with 10 spiney throchus snails, and a dwarf lion, plus alot of chemicals i need. some pics of the lion and his qt. do you think its too small? its like a 2 liter beta tank i had sitting around, will have an air stone and has a few pieces of lr in it for him to hide behind.
Mid water change right now of 8 ish gallons waiting for new water to heat up a bit. my phosphate lvl is 2.0 ppm. i just got the phosphate test today so i have no idea is this too high of a lvl. also my anemone has only eaten 2 maybe 3 mysis shrimp since i got it four days ago.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:56 AM

so definately didnt know that a heater couldn't be left on and set out of water lol. it was only for like one minute but i went to pik it up burnt my finger, touched it in the water and it blew up...literally blew up, then right after i also managed to step on a thermometer i bought today... fun times