Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 05-22-2010, 05:09 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Looks like $2200 for a storage tank and pump
What a useless invention, I'm sure @ 2.2K they have sold a total of maybe 0? Why would you buy something like that when a 100g rubbermaid and 500gph pump come to less than $80?
Old 05-22-2010, 05:23 PM

Milad is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Milad

ive been racking this in my head over and over and over since i started looking into reefing.
Everything seems smiple except for adding salt. If there were salt "packets" that realesed salt little by little then you could do an automatic water change.
im thinking like those things you put in your toliet that clean it, and they slowly dissolve.

i think the key here is finding something to add salt, not do the water change.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:51 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

We tried to do an order form Fishbowl-innovations. He didn't seem to want to sell any to us. That's why I had a bunch imported Pretty much the exact same valve he is using. He puts 2 JG fittings on and wires on a plug.

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 05-23-2010, 04:06 AM

SpateD is on a distinguished road

Automatic fish feeder. Minus the fish food and plus the salt?
Old 11-16-2010, 04:28 AM

martinmcnally is on a distinguished road

My idea isn't completely automated but I am in the process of building it to help with water changes because I rarely do them with the hassle of buckets and mixing salt and such.

I am plumbing a garbage bin between my overflow and my sump. During everyday operation valves 3 and 4 are closed, R/O is closed heater and pump are off. Water will flow in and out of the garbage can and it ads more water volume to my system.

When I want to do a water change I open 3, close 1 and 2 and the container is now cut off from the system water. I drain the container with valve 4 and once empty open up the R/O line, it will fill with the float valve, I dump in the salt and turn on pump and heater. I will have it plumped into my R/O unit and my house waste line so I don't have to handle the water or pipes at all. Once the salt mix is to my satisfaction I open up 1 and 2 and close 3. The container is now back in the loop and I had just completed about a 30% water change.

An added bonus I think is I can gradually open the valves to introduce the new water slowly back into the loop.

I know this is no 100% automated process but its going to make my water changes a lot easier and free up my time to stare at tank inhabitants more lol.

I haven't figured out the overflow for the container yet, I dont want to hear a SSHHHLLLLUUSHHHHHHHH from inside the container haha.
Attached Images
File Type: png overflow1.png (9.9 KB, 34 views)