Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Photography

Old 12-23-2013, 05:51 PM
BATfishMAN

Reef_Geek is on a distinguished road

Still editing GoPro videos. Here's the first one.

GoPro Hero3+ at 1080 resolution, 60 fps. Backscatter 3.1 deep filter.

Depth at 70-80 feet. Off Playa del Carmen Bull Shark dive with Tank-Ha (dive shop)

They were circling pretty close at 6 minutes into the video.

Recommend you click on the settings wheel at the bottom right of player and set the quality to 780 or 1080 HD, as the visibility wasn't exceptional.

http://youtu.be/BSV6f3cmQ-M

Last edited by Reef_Geek; 12-23-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:30 AM
BATfishMAN

here's two dives on the reefs off Playa del Carmen, diving with Tank-Ha.

Visibility wasn't great, not too many large animals. Some neat formations, would have been nice if visibility was better.

Shot with GoPro Hero3+ at 1080 HD 60 fps. Recommend changing the Settings wheel at the bottom right of player to 1080 quality.

First dive was about 105 feet, using deep filter (backscatter flip 3.1). Second dive was about 30 feet and less, no filter used.

http://youtu.be/wiMgwffKarA
Old 12-25-2013, 10:55 AM
BATfishMAN

Default This is COZUMEL!!!!

This is Cozumel!!!

Tank-Ha is the only dive shop (that I found) out of Playa del Carmen that will go direct with their boat from the playa to Cozumel. Very fast boat! We went to this reef at the southern tip of Cozumel... few boats there, I assume because of the time it takes to get there. Lots of cool swim throughs and columns.

Deepest depth was about 113 feet with the bulk of the time at 90 feet.

I was going to take that sea turtle and nurse shark home... but then I thought... that's crazy, my wife will never let me get a bigger tank.

One of the last clip has a giant Goliath Grouper (previously called Jew Fish) and a giant Parrot fish. Notice how far off they are (incredible visibility)

Click on the settings wheel and change the quality to 1080 HD.
http://youtu.be/Li0Y4WMJOmI
Old 12-25-2013, 08:19 PM
BATfishMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_Geek View Post
This is Cozumel!!!

Tank-Ha is the only dive shop (that I found) out of Playa del Carmen that will go direct with their boat from the playa to Cozumel. Very fast boat! We went to this reef at the southern tip of Cozumel... few boats there, I assume because of the time it takes to get there. Lots of cool swim throughs and columns.

Deepest depth was about 113 feet with the bulk of the time at 90 feet.

I was going to take that sea turtle and nurse shark home... but then I thought... that's crazy, my wife will never let me get a bigger tank.

One of the last clip has a giant Goliath Grouper (previously called Jew Fish) and a giant Parrot fish. Notice how far off they are (incredible visibility)

Click on the settings wheel and change the quality to 1080 HD.
http://youtu.be/Li0Y4WMJOmI

apparently the music by the Talking Heads "Once in a Lifetime" kept this from being played. Usually YouTube let's it go if you simply acknowledge the third party content. So here's the new link with a change in tunes... to ZBB!

http://youtu.be/Llml0Jo2MjU
Old 12-25-2013, 11:27 PM
BATfishMAN

here's another cozumel dive

http://youtu.be/67l9BtEQYS0
Old 12-26-2013, 02:10 AM
BATfishMAN

here's all sea turtles right off the beach at Akumal, snorkeling with my nephews

http://youtu.be/4bSNwr7t5s4
Old 01-24-2014, 08:35 PM

sumpfinfishe is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to sumpfinfishe

Well i was lucky enough to stumble onto this post!
I haven't been to Playa del Carmen for some years-around 12 to be exact.
A buddy and myself traveled there for many trips usually in november at the tail end the hurricane season. We always stayed at one of Playa's original divers hotels(Hotel Treetops), which i think is no longer there after the big hurricane years back. It was one block from the beach, one block to Tank-Ha, and directly across from Dive Mikes shop at 5th an 8th.
We logged many trips with both shops and found them both to be very safe, professional, and affordable outfits.

It's very sad to hear that Playa's local reefs have been damaged or completely died off.There use to be two really great reefs, one in Playa at Coco beach, which i believe now has a large resort facing that reef. The other reef was at Paamul beach which is in between Playa and Akumal. Both of these two reefs were filled with amazing life the last time i was there!(2002).
Both reefs were thriving with hundreds of varieties of fish and coral, from large angels, schools of powder blues, damsels, sea turtles, sponges, montipori, gorgonian, acropora, to urchins and lobster. We would swim out about 1000m to both of these local reefs with a float bag with water and food, complete with snorkel gear we would spend three or four hours before beaching ourselves for a rest. The life on these reefs was simply amazing and its hard in some ways to believe that they are now no longer. The last time there we did notice however that at both reefs instead of having a single anchor point, there were many more submerged anchor points and also anchor damage was effecting the reef as well. I'm sure the storms have taken there toll on these shallow reefs as well.

I will be taking my mother for a much needed break to either Tulum or Akumal in May, so if anyone knows of some local reefs to snorkel at, further down the coast this info would be greatly appreciated.

all that we do is touched with ocean,
yet we remain on the shore of what we know
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/5/aquarium
Old 01-24-2014, 10:41 PM

Treebeard is on a distinguished road

There is lots of good diving in Akumal still and the snorkeling is not bad in Half Moon Bay. Consider renting a condo on Half Moon Bay. There is also a small hotel. Check out LocoGringo.com for lots of good info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumpfinfishe View Post
Well i was lucky enough to stumble onto this post!
I haven't been to Playa del Carmen for some years-around 12 to be exact.
A buddy and myself traveled there for many trips usually in november at the tail end the hurricane season. We always stayed at one of Playa's original divers hotels(Hotel Treetops), which i think is no longer there after the big hurricane years back. It was one block from the beach, one block to Tank-Ha, and directly across from Dive Mikes shop at 5th an 8th.
We logged many trips with both shops and found them both to be very safe, professional, and affordable outfits.

It's very sad to hear that Playa's local reefs have been damaged or completely died off.There use to be two really great reefs, one in Playa at Coco beach, which i believe now has a large resort facing that reef. The other reef was at Paamul beach which is in between Playa and Akumal. Both of these two reefs were filled with amazing life the last time i was there!(2002).
Both reefs were thriving with hundreds of varieties of fish and coral, from large angels, schools of powder blues, damsels, sea turtles, sponges, montipori, gorgonian, acropora, to urchins and lobster. We would swim out about 1000m to both of these local reefs with a float bag with water and food, complete with snorkel gear we would spend three or four hours before beaching ourselves for a rest. The life on these reefs was simply amazing and its hard in some ways to believe that they are now no longer. The last time there we did notice however that at both reefs instead of having a single anchor point, there were many more submerged anchor points and also anchor damage was effecting the reef as well. I'm sure the storms have taken there toll on these shallow reefs as well.

I will be taking my mother for a much needed break to either Tulum or Akumal in May, so if anyone knows of some local reefs to snorkel at, further down the coast this info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:47 PM

sumpfinfishe is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to sumpfinfishe

Thanks Treebeard
Im looking at akumal and also tulum, and no diving on this trip, prefer a smaller resort with 200 or less rooms.

all that we do is touched with ocean,
yet we remain on the shore of what we know
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/5/aquarium
Old 01-25-2014, 12:51 AM
BATfishMAN

my last trip was so terrible... I decided to rope my wife into going back with me at the end of March. This time I'm staying at Akumal Beach Resort. It doesn't look fancy, but last time I was in Akumal Bay.... I really liked how quaint it was with the amazing snorkelling right off the beach (within a 45 min snorkel, encountered 6 sea turtles, pod of cuttlefish, 3 or 4 stingrays, 1 eagle ray). All we care about is beach time and snorkel time. I'll try out the (only) dive shop in Akumal on a dive or two. This was actually a last minute decision to squeeze into a trip to a friend's wedding in Florida. Ha! Headed to Florida by way of Akumal! Really, who needs to hang out among all the wedding drama in the week ahead anyway?