Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 05-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Good job settling it out guys.
That was a pleasant surprise. Thanks guys!
Old 05-08-2012, 11:51 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

I would like to know the percentage of people that have successfully kept these fish......its already been said that only the people that have been successful with these fish post in threads like this, which unfortunately give the wrong impression to the many people that read the thread......personally Ive killed two cleaner wrasses and wont try another.....there are some fish IMHO that really should either be left in the ocean or at the very least be a "special order only" fish, brought in for people who know what they are doing.....the reality is people on forums like this make up a small percentage of the total number of people who have a saltwater tank and I would be willing to bet that less than ten percent of these fish live longer then a year.....
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694

Last edited by fishytime; 05-09-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:13 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Actually there are 2 types of posts in these forums....those who post and had succes and thus give the impression that this fish is easy to keep...

AND...those who tried and failed and post in these forums and give the impression or say so, that these fish are impossible to keep.

So who really give the false impression? I guess everybody does because some cleaner wrasse are extremely easy to keep, and some won't make it no matter what.

As for me, I know quite many people who have success with it...we must be really lucky. It's also so cheap to buy at the pet store...that does not help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
I would like to know the percentage of people that have successfully kept these fish......its already been said that only the people that have been successful with these fish post in threads like this, which unfortunately give the wrong impression to the many people that read the thread......personally Ive killed two cleaner wrasses and wont try another.....there are some fish IMHO that really should either be left in the ocean or at the very least be a "special order only" fish, brought in for people who know what they are doing.....the reality is people on forums like this make up a small percentage of the total number of people who have a saltwater tank and I would be willing to bet that less than ten percent of these fish live longer then a year.....
Old 05-09-2012, 05:14 PM

sunoka is on a distinguished road
Default Cleaner Wrasse

I have one in each of my 2 tanks. The cleaner in the 25 gal is 3 years old to me don`t know how old it was before we bought it but was just new to the store still in QT when my wife put it on hold. And the other is a little over a year in the 77 gal. tank. These are not a easy fish to keep! I was lucky to convert both to frozen food with a bit of work but both fish started with beef heart and now are on fish food home made and bought they even eat flake food.

I do not recommend this fish to anybody that has not done alot of research and are dedicated to the work involved to introducing this type of fish to there tank. I lost one because he was in the store for 2 weeks before I bought it so that was the first lesson he was gone with in 2 days of purchase.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:03 AM

dacookster is on a distinguished road

Well, it's taken me about an hour to read and decipher all of these posts. I'm not 100% sure on what feelings and opinion I walk away with here. I guess in the general reefing community I am a noob, only 1.5 years in, and yes, I was lured to this fish by a large chain fish store like many others. It's great to see such passion and involvement of members in these communities, but at the same time I find it quite striking that a moral debate would ensue about keeping this fish, or any for that matter. There's some great advice here and i will do whats best in my ability to keep all my "pets" alive. I became a reefer because for some reason I can sit and watch my tank in wonder for hours. I can't explain it. Fascination maybe, of both nature and mankind's ability to nurture nature in a controlled environment. Cool, but I had a dog once, who ate very well, was well groomed and loved. He died of cancer long before his time. How is reefing any different than owning a dog. You raise it, care for it because it provides some peace and enjoyment in your life, but in the end, we're not masters of this universe. Thank you to all who posted feeding and care guidelines that have worked for you. I will be glad to try anything to keep my little guy happy and healthy. I sure hope I didn't start WWIII amongst some of you. I respect you all for taking the time to address my issue. I actually don't feel bad anymore, just more driven to have happy healthy fish!
Old 05-10-2012, 03:06 PM

sunoka is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacookster View Post
Well, it's taken me about an hour to read and decipher all of these posts. I'm not 100% sure on what feelings and opinion I walk away with here. I guess in the general reefing community I am a noob, only 1.5 years in, and yes, I was lured to this fish by a large chain fish store like many others. It's great to see such passion and involvement of members in these communities, but at the same time I find it quite striking that a moral debate would ensue about keeping this fish, or any for that matter. There's some great advice here and i will do whats best in my ability to keep all my "pets" alive. I became a reefer because for some reason I can sit and watch my tank in wonder for hours. I can't explain it. Fascination maybe, of both nature and mankind's ability to nurture nature in a controlled environment. Cool, but I had a dog once, who ate very well, was well groomed and loved. He died of cancer long before his time. How is reefing any different than owning a dog. You raise it, care for it because it provides some peace and enjoyment in your life, but in the end, we're not masters of this universe. Thank you to all who posted feeding and care guidelines that have worked for you. I will be glad to try anything to keep my little guy happy and healthy. I sure hope I didn't start WWIII amongst some of you. I respect you all for taking the time to address my issue. I actually don't feel bad anymore, just more driven to have happy healthy fish!

ATTA boy...I found my info out side of canreef as well as what was offer here. It`s not as bomb and glomb as some say. I have to feed my cleaners twice a day because I have other fish that pick at the rocks all day as well as the cleaner.
As you have red in these forms there is success with these fish just as I say get a new fish to the store not one that maybe starving because the LFS has cheaper budget for food than you will have and time which they sometimes don`t have the time to for each fish. Time and patients is key.
Try beef heart minced with garlic to start and then introduce frozen. This worked for both my cleaners. Good luck it can be done