Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 05-31-2014, 03:38 AM

tlhood is on a distinguished road

How frustrating.. after getting the LEDs all set up and connecting them with the 3 inch solderless wires, they only gave me 23 instead of 25, so I am two short.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:26 AM
Zoa Hoarder

davej is on a distinguished road

Run one less led on each string until they send you the replacement ones. You won't be able to tell the difference.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:25 PM

Here are a couple pictures of the progress so far. I put the terminal plug two LEDs short on the white string, as the wires were missing from the kit. I have contacted rapidLED to see if they will send me the missing pieces.

I tested with the terminal plug on the blue string to make sure I could easily remove it. Thankfully with some needlenose pliers and a little wiggle it comes out quite easily.

I have to run to home depot now to grab some zip ties to mount the heatsink to the reflector thinggy.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:38 PM

After 9 hours, the hood is put back together and the lights/controller appear to be working well.

Some critiques about the kit:

1)Missing parts
2)No instructions regarding the assembly of ALL the LDD drivers, fans, new power supply and storm controller. The ones provided are for the larger drivers using the timer and rsm power supply, or just connecting the controller to the power supply and drivers. Fans were all willy nilly.
3) the new power supply doesn't fit in the hood
4)heatsink holes were too small for the zip ties
5) there were 4 plastic sticky out things in the hood that interfered with closing after the zip ties were used to attach the heatsink to the reflector thingy. The 4 sticky out things were where the screws used to be in order to attach the reflector to the hood.

Solutions:
1) left the last two LEDs (1 UV and 1 White) unhooked until Rapid LED gets me the missing wires.
2) Relied on my grade 5 understanding of circuits to wire everything together. I ended up ripping out the timer and the driver, drilled a hole through the bottom of the timer compartment, and threaded the jumpers and fan wires down. I had to extend the fan wires with the bulk wires. All wires now come out where the main plug for the RSM comes out. Drivers are wired into the new power supply and the controller. Fans are wired directly into the power supply.
3)Power supply is external. As the wires were too short, it is on a stand beside the DT.
4)Drilled bigger holes.
5) drilled into the sticky out thingies to make them thin enough to snap off with pliers.