Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-13-2007, 12:20 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road
Default Little problems...Big solutions

When you have a big tank, even little problems require BIG tools! It cost me $20 to fix a nagging leak. I would have purchased a larger wrench, but couldn't find one. (If you know of a better place than KMS, let me know)

400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 03-13-2007, 03:20 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Wow that's a big wrench. Whatcha using it on??
Old 03-13-2007, 03:32 AM

...troublesome threaded fitting on a true union valve. I needed a 1-11/16" wrench for a 1" valve. I wouldn't mind finding one for a 1.5" and even a 2".

I looked at an adjustable wrench of that size..$250!!! Awesome tool, though.

There's no doubt that warm SW finds a way out where cold FW can't.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

Old 03-13-2007, 06:13 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

Man I see myself just busting the fitting if I tried using something like that. Also broke far too many tanks overtightening bulkheads too (mind you smaller tanks with 1/4 glass .. maybe 1/2" and up is not so delicate). Just a thought, if it's a union that's not sealing, could you see about a new O-ring maybe? (as an alternative)
Old 03-13-2007, 07:12 AM

justinl is on a distinguished road

hahaha that wrench is enormous! you could probably knock out a bear with that bad boy.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Man I see myself just busting the fitting if I tried using something like that. Also broke far too many tanks overtightening bulkheads too (mind you smaller tanks with 1/4 glass .. maybe 1/2" and up is not so delicate). Just a thought, if it's a union that's not sealing, could you see about a new O-ring maybe? (as an alternative)
It's the threaded connection on the union, not the union portion itself. I was concerned about over tightening it, though. This enabled me to give it another 1/4 turn.

In most cases, I've found hand-tightening bulkheads to be sufficient as long as you have a nice smooth, flat surface to seal against. (Use good quality bulkheads!)

Old 03-13-2007, 04:23 PM

Oh ok, not the union itself, I see.

And yes, FWIW I agree, hand-tightening bulkheads should be all you need. I was just saying, you can crack glass by overtightening those.

However ....

You can still crack open a FNPT to MNPT connection if you overtighten. I was doing the exact same thing as you about a week ago on 1.5" pipe, I just used a pipe wrench, and that "extra 1/4 turn" was all it needed to crack open. Just sharing some experiences... trust me I've found lots of creative ways to break things.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:52 PM

Default Rock and Sand

Yesterday was a good day. My first shipment of LR and sand arrived in Seattle at about 8PM last night (shipped from Tampa Bay Saltwater). A quick zip down to Seattle and back got the rock into the sump and sand in the tank by midnight.

150lbs of sand...250lbs of rock... Yes, I'm in the tank at this point...

I threw one particularly large rock into the tank and 2 mantis sprang out. By the time I'm done, I bet there are 12 or more mantis in the main tank. My intention is to keep the mantis, but I may hunt down the crabs. (then again, the mantis might do that for me...)

Old 03-14-2007, 10:18 PM

niloc16 is on a distinguished road

thats awesome. feels good to finally get stuff in the tank hey. i hated waiting

my tank setup
Old 03-14-2007, 11:16 PM

justinl is on a distinguished road

sweet! something other than people are finally in there!

by the way in case you were curious about an ID of the mantids you have, my guess is almost definitely Neogonodactylus Wennerae. They are very common on LR shipments from tampabaysaltwater for some reason. I can't be surea bout your other mantis(es) but the one in the pic is a classic red morph of an N. wennerae.

Do you have any experience with these guys? I would give each mantis a separate tank. If you don't have room, please sell them, don't kill em.