Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > New to the Hobby

Old 10-09-2005, 06:37 PM

geopod is on a distinguished road
Default A question for Everyone about the Newbie forum

When I was living in Nova Scotia.I was a newbie on the reef site there.We had mentors that we would go to for help.Preferably someone that was close to you if emergency arissed.I found this to be very helpful.And the newbie wouldnt post what they thought was a stupid question they would contact that mentor for them.Also a newbie wont post alot of their questions as they dont wanna look stupid to all the other reefers especially if they lost some expensive coral or fish.Cause we know how the boards get sometimes with different opinions of people who post.And that could end up pushing some of these people away in discouragement.I would be more than willing to be a mentor to someone.I have been in the hobby for 3yrs but FW for 12yrs(discus Breeding) but I still consider myself a newbie.I still learn stuff everyday from the board as well as other people.If I do have a question I sometimes PM someone to ask for advice.I know the only stupid question is the one thats not asked.Sometimes newbies feel threatened,and intimidated by the answers they get. Just a thought do you think this is too much in regards to the newbie idea?What are some opinions?I know everyone has lives and are busy.But we are all on here at some point.Maybe we would have 5 PM's instead of 1 or none.

George
Old 10-09-2005, 06:52 PM

Ruth is on a distinguished road

What an excellent idea. I consider myself a newbie although I have been doing this or at least trying to for just about 3 years. The first 2 were a real stuggle but what I learned was invaluable and although I still have a lot to learn would love to have a mentor that I could ask question of and would be willing to try and help someone else.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:02 AM

reefburnaby is on a distinguished road

Hi,

About 2 to 3 years ago, we used to have a mentorship program at Canreef. I used to mentor along with several others on the board. I am sure we can restart that program.

- Victor.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:35 AM

geopod is on a distinguished road

It's good to see some backup on this one.When I asked one of the staff about it htey said to post and see. I wasnt sure what to expect.But from my experience with it it was an excellant idea and worked really well.

george
Old 10-11-2005, 03:58 AM

vanreefer is on a distinguished road

I found it useful when I was starting out to get many different peoples opinions... I would even post on different boards... then compile the info and make an informed decision... I found this to be helpful...

Just a thought
Old 10-11-2005, 04:34 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanreefer
I found it useful when I was starting out to get many different peoples opinions... I would even post on different boards... then compile the info and make an informed decision... I found this to be helpful...

Just a thought
I did this as well/still do Get a general consensus for your problem and then go from there

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:57 AM

WWWD is on a distinguished road

sounds like an AA thing
Old 10-11-2005, 08:31 AM

reeferaddict is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWD
sounds like an AA thing
My name is Jim... and I'm addicted to reefing....

I'm in... coming up on 4 years in reef and since I was a kid in FW... like everyone else I certainly don't know everything, but have the bank statements... (maybe I burned them... ), to prove what I've learned...
135G Mixed Reef. Bullet 2, 25 gal refugium, 2 X250W MH + 4X 96W PC\'s, DIY Calcium Reactor, Coralife 1/6 HP Chiller, Phosban, Tunze, 2 closed loops & SQWD\'s, Seios, Coralife 4 stage RO/DI & a bunch of other expensive gadgets... I may never retire, but I'm gonnahavahelluvanaquarium!
Old 10-11-2005, 04:23 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

ROLF

My name is Anthony & I, too, am an addict..... I have spent more on fishfood than on groceries ..... Even on the days when I worked 14+ hours, I usually still sneaked onto Canreef (sign of true addiction).

George, the Mentoring program is a great idea. As a newbie in certain aspects of this addiction (ie. sumps/plumbing), I always had the phone numbers & pm addresses of certain local reefers whom I trusted & respected & I wasn't afraid to use those contacts. I've communicated lots with other newbies when they've had their questions that I felt I could help with because I truly believe that what goes around, comes around. The important points are the willingness to help and the knowledge of our own limitations, so we don't try to give advice on stuff we're not sure about ourselves. With MSN, long distance plans, pms & email, it's getting easier & more convenient to help each other out.

However, I do advise newbies to do a search on this board & others on the topic or question before hand, because 9 out of 10 times at least, that topic or question has already been dealt with in-depth on the boards. If people put in the effort ahead of time to help themselves, then it reduces the time necessary to answer questions that have been answered many times before.

Just my thoughts on the topic.

Anthony
Old 10-11-2005, 05:10 PM

TNTCanada is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a great idea I'd be in.

Cheers
Tyler
72g Bowfront Drilled,Lighting,2x250 10,000k MH,2 actinic T5,2/6" fans,2MJ with 1600gph convertions kits,Bullet 2 style skimmer with Mak 4,29g sump/Refugium,96W power compacts in sump, Velocity T4 Titanium "return",Life Guard 300 Fluidize bed filter,1"sand bed, 29g auto top off, 140lb LR,SPS,LPS,Softies,Zoos,2Percula Clowns, 2yellow tail Damsels,1yellow tang,2cleaner shrimp, 1six line Wrass,2 Bengaii Cardinal,1lawnmower Blenny,1sand sifting star,1TigerTailCucumber, snails,hermit crabs,Macros.