Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Nano Tank Talk

Old 07-15-2011, 04:16 PM

skabooya is on a distinguished road

Yea I would love to do a larger macro tank. I would still need it at 36" but maybe deeper. If I cant keep Sargassum alive in my tank then im going to look at getting a larger tank and basically just re-use what I have. although I really really love my tank right now so i dont see myself upgrading anytime soon
Old 07-15-2011, 08:47 PM

ferret is on a distinguished road

Keeping the sargassum ( brown algae ) is quite challenging for it requires constant cooler temperature unless you are equipped with chiller and it can survive in most reef tanks. ( but nobody will like to have this huge plant to block up the light and killing the corals ). I usually can keep this algae with dosing of iodine for a few months and the plants wither away somehow in summer.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:35 AM

Theres a guy over on nano reef Ive been talking to that is propagating sargassum in his sump. I was going to buy some off him and hes doing nothing special. Typical water temps, params, etc and the stuff is spreading like crazy.

If this one doesnt make it in my tank then Imnot going to bother with trying it anymore. Its so nice though I hope it does make it.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:02 AM

I'll love to learn more about the details & any photo?
Old 07-16-2011, 04:52 AM

Sure, hes on nano reef and heres the link to his tank: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...owtopic=245998

Some info is not posted in his thread however. Lots was from us e-mailing eachother back and forth.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:46 PM

Thanks for directing me to the post. Yes that's another type of sargassum and the shape of the leaves is different from the type I had kept before. I'm going to order some if available definately!
Old 07-16-2011, 03:00 PM

Yes I was going to order one from him too as well as some gorgonians but he figured the shipping time was not good for the livestock so shipping ended up not being an option.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:56 AM

Its only been a few days but already I am seeing some growth. My sargassum is sprouting some new leaves all over, my calpura prolifera has little leaf buds all along the stems and the unknown calcilferous macro has white tips all over like an birdsnest sps. My softies are getting pretty happy too, ive never seen them so puffed up and happy looking
Ive noticed some new macros too. They are hitch hikers. Theres one that looks like a fern on the end of a palm tree trunk and another that looks like cheato but its in straight stalks as if the cheato was grass.

I havent seen the starfish since that day but I expected that. Hopefully things keep up and stay healthy and thrive.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:39 PM

Yet another sad few days. This thread is getting depressing.
My grandmother (Vavo in portuguese) passed away. I was very close to her. She pretty much raised me until i was 14 because my parents worked so much. Even then I visited her often. Shes been so sick lately. In the end she was in so much pain. Her body was giving up on her and in horrible ways. Im glad shes not suffering anymore but Im sad that shes gone. She was the only one in my family I had nearly everything in common with. She and my dad were the only ones to ever make me feel special, to ever be proud of me; and now they are both gone. In the last 2 1/2 years we have had 6 family deaths. 5 have been personal to me.
I hope this stops for the next few years. Our family needs a death break.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:22 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Very sorry to hear this..... My condolences
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694