Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 08-08-2012, 06:38 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Glad to see the update. Interesting to hear about the check valve...those have always worried me on tanks. On the LED side of things...they can actually be a bit of fun to experiment with...but you'll eventually want to move towards more reef oriented versions.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:44 PM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

I don't have the NET module, but I'd be curious to see what pH reading you get when the system is unplugged from your PC
Everytime I plug mine in, I have to wait awhile for the pH to read correctly
It starts off high like yours, then slowly comes down
Old 08-08-2012, 11:52 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Sadly, it seems to be getting worse. I'm going to try and re-calibrate it tonight because its driving me nuts to see it at 8.4+.

One of my favourite things about MHs is the infamous "shimmer", and really what I'm hoping for from these LEDs is to a) light my tank for my tang, and b) decide if I can live without my "shimmer". Plus, they were f-r-e-e so its kind of hard to say no. I'm looking at "reef appropriate" lighting right now, but the price is such a downer.

The price of new reef equipment has definitely gone up in the last few years. What bothers me is that it seems that a lot of stuff has become more high-tech, or high priced, but it seems like being more energy efficient has fallen off the wagon. To me Tibet is a long term investment with a daily ongoing maintenance cost, and things like energy efficiency is really important for me. Sorry, rant of frustration there.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:55 AM

molotov is on a distinguished road
Default Party

Back in early 2009 you said you were going to have a salt party. Are you still gonna have a salt party? I could bring some live rock
Old 08-09-2012, 02:12 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

What pH reading do you get on the head unit when it's NOT plugged into your PC ?
Old 08-09-2012, 04:59 AM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Catherine I agree with you that efficiency is critical, especially when you look at lighting. LED is the way to go in regards to energy. As for cost, there are a lot of alternatives. I know there are fans of Aquastyle LED's on here...they can be reasonable. I think the multi chip leads from some eBay vendors can be amazing as well.

Keep looking...plus LED will give you your shimmer.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:05 AM

claymax is on a distinguished road

and dont rule out diy, modular led kits are probably the easiest to to assemble, and they're local.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:33 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

bah!.....10 radions should do it
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 08-14-2012, 06:53 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
What pH reading do you get on the head unit when it's NOT plugged into your PC ?
I swear I responded to this...anyways its still creeping up. Its totally the probe! Unplugged it was the same as plugged, today its 9.37!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
Catherine I agree with you that efficiency is critical, especially when you look at lighting. LED is the way to go in regards to energy. As for cost, there are a lot of alternatives. I know there are fans of Aquastyle LED's on here...they can be reasonable. I think the multi chip leads from some eBay vendors can be amazing as well.

Keep looking...plus LED will give you your shimmer.
We're definitely going to do a DIY LED fixture if we go that route (and I think I am). After having lived with LED shimmer for awhile I think I do like it. Its a bit different from MH, but nothing significant enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymax View Post
and dont rule out diy, modular led kits are probably the easiest to to assemble, and they're local.
Any recommendatinos on some?

I got a box on my doorstep last night; more LEDs, plumbing parts, and some RO/DI replacements. Now I'm onto ordering rock and sand from Eco-Reefer. I'm so pleased by their products and their prices.

I think my UPS and Canada Post guys deserve some big heavy bottles of good liquor as thanks for hauling many big and heavy boxes to my front door.

Perhaps the sand shall wait another cheque....I feel silly saying I spent all my fun money on rocks and sand.

You will need approximately 473 pounds of sand
to achieve a 2 inch depth in a 126 x 36 inch tank
assuming the sand weighs 90 pounds per cubic foot.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:15 PM

Parker is on a distinguished road

Bah! No pictures........... fail.